MERRIMAC, Wis. - Authorities said at least 14 people were injured, three seriously, Thursday night in a ski lift accident at the Devil's Head Resort near the Wisconsin town of Merrimac.Sauk County Chief Deputy Chip Meister said the accident happened about 7 p.m. Thursday. He said the chair lift stopped, and then started going backward, and lift operators were unable to stop it immediately.Seven people were in fair condition at Sauk Prairie Memorial Hospital & Clinics in Prairie du Sac, a hospital spokeswoman told the Wisconsin State Journal. Seven more people were treated for minor injuries at St. Clare Hospital in Baraboo, a spokeswoman told the Journal.Meister said 12 people were taken to area hospitals from the scene, but additional people went later to hospitals on their own. He says at least three of them were seriously injured but not critically. He didn't have details on the ages of the victims or the nature of their injuries.He said the lift was full, but he didn't know how may people were aboard when it started going backward. He said emergency responders finished evacuating the lift just after 9 p.m.Merrimac is about 20 miles northwest of Madison.
- Marijuana by the Numbers: 10 numbers about pot in Colorado that don't include 4-20
- Silverthorne council member Jonathan Bird dies
- Breckenridge, Copper Mountain festivities bring ski season to a close
- Father of Columbine victim to speak in Dillon next Sunday
- An interview with snowboard superstar and former Breck local Todd Richards