The Summit High School golfers finished their regular season with the lowest collective score of the year, placing them third out of eight teams Thursday at Haymaker Golf Club in Steamboat.
In an exciting end to the tournament, Vail Christian prevailed against Steamboat for first place in a sudden-death tiebreaker that lasted three holes.
The Tigers shot a collective score of 232, which surpasses the team's previous best by 19 strokes. To boot, three of four varsity players, Dylan Mitchell (69), David Metzger (78) and Mike Magnuson (86) hit their season lows, with Metzger shooting his all-time best score.
"In any other sport, you might say the team is peaking at the right time," coach Gary Sorensen wrote in an email. "Golf, however, is a different animal. You rarely shoot your absolute best twice in a row. This performance does, however, show the results of some serious practice effort, and what some of these boys are capable of shooting."
Mitchell finished second overall, just one stroke behind the winner with a 69. He shot four birdies, 13 pars and one bogey - a result of nicking the ball during a practice swing that caused it to move, incurring a penalty stroke.
"He called the foul on himself when no one else saw it," Sorensen said. "That young man is a class act."
Now, the team is eyeing Tuesday's Western Slope Regional Tournament, anticipating it with bated breath. Mitchell, in particular, wants to play well and make the state tournament that follows - and bypass all the competition to place first.
1. Vail Christian - 221 (won sudden-death tiebreaker)
2. Steamboat - 221
3. Summit - 232
4. Elizabeth - 245
5. Vail Mountain School - 248
6. Battle Mountain - 259
7. Eagle Valley - 286
8. Moffat County - 303
1. Brandon Martin, Steamboat - 68
2. Dylan Mitchell, Summit - 69
3. Mitchell Smith, Elizabeth - 70
4. Parker Poage, Vail Christian - 72
5. Cooper Gould, Vail Christian - 73
9. Dave Metzger, Summit - 78
1. Dylan Mitchell - 69 (season low)
2. Dave Metzger - 78 (personal best)
3. Nick Wittrock - 85 (tied season low)
4. Mike Magnuson - 86 (season low)
5. Jack Bielenduke - 94
6. Claire MacMurray - 98
7. Garrison Ortega - 98 (season low)
8. Jack Farrell - 110