My wife, Pamela, was injured in RMNP 8/31/12 while hiking with our granddaughter and air-lifted from RMNP to MCR-Loveland, stabilized then air-lifted to U.C. Hospital, Denver. Pamela was in Neuro ICU for over two weeks, finally released 9/17. When Pamela fell, I was backpacking with our daughter, son-in-law, and two other grandchildren starting from Lower Cataract trailhead the a.m. of 8/30. Thanks to my brother's coordination efforts with Jim Koegel of Summit County Rescue Group we were located at Griffith Lake around 10 p.m. 8/31. The three SCRG men who located us, Charles Pitman, Tim Schlough and John Reller, are to be especially commended for their heroic efforts in finding us and getting us off the mountain. Pitman for immediately assisting my daughter and I back to the trailhead where my sister/brother-in-law drove us to Denver; Schlough and Reller for helping our son-in-law and grandkids break camp and get down safely. Our immediate and extended family want to express our heartfelt appreciation to SCRG, Jim Koegel, mission coordinator, and especially Pitman, Schlough, and Reller for their outstanding determination and self-sacrifice for those many hours the night of 8/31-9/1. Thank you, SCRG!
- Summit County resort report: Breckenridge, Copper Mountain plan for more terrain for holiday weekend
- Summit County Rotary Club continues tradition of community Thanksgiving dinner
- Leadville Police Department investigating ‘unnatural’ death, said District Attorney Bruce Brown
- Utah trucker found dead on Vail Pass
- Proposed rule would allow ski resorts to charge an ‘uphill’ fee