My wife, Pamela, was injured in RMNP 8/31/12 while hiking with our granddaughter and air-lifted from RMNP to MCR-Loveland, stabilized then air-lifted to U.C. Hospital, Denver. Pamela was in Neuro ICU for over two weeks, finally released 9/17. When Pamela fell, I was backpacking with our daughter, son-in-law, and two other grandchildren starting from Lower Cataract trailhead the a.m. of 8/30. Thanks to my brother's coordination efforts with Jim Koegel of Summit County Rescue Group we were located at Griffith Lake around 10 p.m. 8/31. The three SCRG men who located us, Charles Pitman, Tim Schlough and John Reller, are to be especially commended for their heroic efforts in finding us and getting us off the mountain. Pitman for immediately assisting my daughter and I back to the trailhead where my sister/brother-in-law drove us to Denver; Schlough and Reller for helping our son-in-law and grandkids break camp and get down safely. Our immediate and extended family want to express our heartfelt appreciation to SCRG, Jim Koegel, mission coordinator, and especially Pitman, Schlough, and Reller for their outstanding determination and self-sacrifice for those many hours the night of 8/31-9/1. Thank you, SCRG!
- Ski patrollers explain the finer points of ski area etiquette
- Summit County could face strain from Colorado's new water plan
- Summit County police blotter: Broken glass at the Breckenridge yo-yo store
- Work It Out: The post-Thanksgiving ski workout
- Summit Foundation hosts 25th Annual Philanthropy Awards