The Summit Middle School football team finished its season on Oct. 4 with a 14-8 loss to Eagle Valley. It was a hard-fought game between two evenly matched teams, head coach Tom Dickey said. Eagle Valley jumped out to an 8-0 lead, driving down the field after the opening kickoff to score. Summit had a chance to score in the first quarter, but a pass from Jake Willemsen to a wide-open Eddie Jain was just out of reach, likely affected by a strong tailwind. The rest of the half was scoreless. Midway through the third quarter, Eagle Valley scored again to take a 14-0 lead. Summit responded by moving the ball with runs by Luke Notaro and Willemsen. A sustained drive led to Jain's touchdown off a wide receiver screen pass from Willemsen from 11 yards out. Notaro ran the ball in for the two-point conversion, putting the score at 14-8 early in the fourth quarter. Summit stopped Eagle Valley on the next drive with a three and out, getting the ball back and moving it 30 yards before Eagle Valley stripped the ball from Notaro. Three plays later, Summit forced a fumble, but didn't recover the ball. After that, Eagle Valley controlled the game, running out the clock to end the game. "We are very proud of our players as they never quit in this game, even when we were down 14 points in the second half," Dickey said. "The players learned a great deal about the fundamentals of the game this year and got better every day of the season. We ended the season with a 6-2 record and we are very excited about how these players will do in the future at the high school."
Summit Middle School football season ends in a loss
Trending in: News
- Family searching for Breckenridge man who went missing after Dillon Reservoir car crash
- Health in the High Country: doctors discuss altitude effects on heart, lungs
- The state Marijuana Enforcement Division releases new rules for medical, retail marijuana businesses
- At Dillon Valley Elementary, students switch between languages all day every day
- Road Trip: Travel to Telluride for the season that shimmers