Slightly after 3 p.m. on Sunday, Lake Dillon Fire was called to a structure fire in West Keystone Ranch. Crews encountered smoke emanating from the roof eves and several windows on one half of a duplex. Assistance was received from Red, White & Blue Fire. Approximately 18 firefighters on four fire trucks and three command vehicles responded. The fire was located in the kitchen area on one side of a duplex and knocked down by an interior attack. The fire had also spread to a common area crawl space and vertical shaft, making extinguishment challenging.There were no injuries. One half of the duplex was occupied and ownedfrom out-of-town residents from the Chicago areawho were all evacuated safely. The other half of the duplex where the fire originated was owned by a family from the Front Range.Lake Dillon Fire investigatorshave determined that the fire started in the ground-floor kitchen area in an undermount electric heater. Preliminary estimates on damage are approximately $80,000. The entire duplex is valued at over $2 million. Lake Dillon Fire has had several fires related to undermount heaters over the pastseveral years. The duplex was constructed in 1981 by Ralston Purina, who owned and operated Keystone Resort at the time."The quick thinking of the residents in the duplex and a prompt 911 call enabled Lake Dillon firefighters to contain the fire to the room of origin in one half of the duplex," deputy chief Jeff Berino said.
- A son's Summit County heroin overdose spurs mother to speak out
- Mix of reduced budgets and swelling demands hurt forest service's capabilities
- The Limelight: Reigning Bull of the Woods champ Matt Coughlin
- Backcountry Cannabis Company, formerly Breckenridge Cannabis Club, lived the uncertainty of Colorado's marijuana industry
- Breckenridge police blotter: Craigslist ad fraud ruins woman's birthday ski trip