Caddie Nath

Follow Me

Back to: News
January 15, 2013
Follow News

Summit County: Trailer up in smoke at Farmer's Korner

FARMER'S KORNER - Firefighters contained a blaze that fully engulfed a trailer on the east side of Highway 9 at Farmer's Korner near Summit High School Tuesday night.

The blaze was the second of the day, which local fire departments faced in frigid temperatures.

There were no evacuations, but there is at least one individual who lives in the trailer that caught fire. Officials did not yet know Tuesday whether anyone was in the building when it went up in flames.

No injuries had been reported as a result of the blaze at press time.

Fire officials did not yet know what caused the blaze Tuesday night. An investigation was set to begin after teams had gone over the house to ensure all flames were extinguished.

"We'll overhaul, so we'll look for any hidden fire," Red, White and Blue deputy chief Jay Nelson said. "We'll remove sheet rock to make sure there's no hidden fire in the walls. And then once that happens we'll be able to start our investigation."

Officials did not know Tuesday evening how long the overhaul might take.

Without water available at the site of the fire, teams were forced to bring it in from a hydrant on the other side of Swan Mountain Road.

Firefighters were still dousing the structure an hour after the call came in Tuesday night as snow fell lightly and temperatures plunged into the single digits.

Red, White and Blue got the call at 4:30 p.m. and responded to find the entire trailer ablaze, with flames coming out of the windows and heavy smoke in the area.

They attacked the fire full force, with 20 firefighters and an array of equipment.

"We brought everything we have here," Red, White and Blue deputy chief Paul Kuhn said.

The temperature was a chilly 4 degrees and it was growing dark as teams continued to battle the blaze Tuesday night. The small amount of snow accumulated around and on the roof of the burning building did nothing to contain the fire or help firefighting efforts, and the cold weather made the work more difficult.

"This freezing weather is very taxing to our firefighters," Kuhn said.

Using the hoses, firefighters risked getting wet and the water quickly freezing. Officials used a rotation system allowing teams to warm up with hot coffee first in an ambulance on scene and then in a heating tent provided by Red, White and Blue.

Stories you may be interested in

The Summit Daily Updated Jan 15, 2013 10:00PM Published Jan 15, 2013 07:38PM Copyright 2013 The Summit Daily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.