SCHLADMING, Austria - Overall World Cup champion Marcel Hirscher helped Austria win the team event Tuesday and earn the host nation its first gold medal at the Alpine skiing world championships. Hirscher teamed with Philipp Schoerghofer, Michaela Kirchgasser and Nicole Hosp to defeat Sweden 4-0 in the final. Germany edged Canada in the small final for third place. The team event has been part of the worlds since 2005, with Austria also winning in 2007. Defending champion France lost in the quarterfinals to Germany.
Austria beats Sweden to win team event at worlds
Trending in: News
- Littwin: Committed to winning the war on terror, in the same old way
- Four-year-old Breckenridge girl bravely faces amputation, chemotherapy
- Earthly Idea: Fracking and natural gas a dangerous addiction
- Dancing with the Mountain Stars fundraiser pairs local celebrities with dancing pros
- Summit Climbing Gym in Silverthorne succeeds as co-op after initial failure