Breckenridge Ski Resort opens 543 acres of new terrain on Peak 6
December 26, 2013
Peak 6 facts
• Located just north of existing Peak 7 terrain.
• Features a total of 543 additional acres, including 400 acres of lift-served terrain and 143 acres of hike-to terrain.
• Provides a 23 percent increase in the resort’s skiable acreage.
• Adds three new bowls, two of which are intermediate terrain
• In addition to above-treeline terrain, Peak 6 will also have 10 new trails.
• Will be served by two new lifts: one four-person fixed grip providing access from Peak 7 and one six-person, high-speed providing access above treeline.
Breckenridge Ski Resort's new Peak 6 terrain and lifts open to the public for the first time at noon on Christmas Day, Wednesday, Dec. 25.
The Peak 6 opening represents one of the biggest ski-area terrain expansions in North America in the past decade and will be the first at Breck since the Peak 7 expansion in 2002.
Visitors to Breck on Wednesday, will be able to ride the resort's two brand-new chairlifts, the Zendo Chair and Kensho SuperChair, both of which start operations for the first time at about noon.
Once skiers arrive at Peak 6 via the new lifts, they will have access to the above-tree-line intermediate and expert terrain that the expansion will become famous for.
Trails and terrain available on Peak 6's opening day will depend on weather conditions and snow coverage; guests can stay tuned to Breck's social media outlets at facebook.com/breckenridge or follow the new @BreckConditions Twitter account for the most current terrain status updates.
"We couldn't be more excited about being able to open Peak 6 this holiday season," said Pat Campbell, chief operating officer of Breckenridge Ski Resort. "This project has been years in the making, and thanks to the incredible efforts of the entire project team, we are poised to be able to open Peak 6 right on schedule and deliver the holiday gift of a lifetime to our guests from around the world."
A detailed, behind-the-scenes look at the final stages of Breck's operational completion of the Peak 6 project can be seen in a video titled "The Finishing Touches" (at youtube.com/breckenridge); it's the latest episode in the resort's "Inside the Creation of Peak 6" series, presented by GoPro,
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Events
- Rain means Colorado mushroom hunting is on
- Book review: ‘Far From the Madding Crowd,’ by Thomas Hardy
- Colorado Wildflower Hiking Guide to Summit County, Colorado
- Hummingbirds of Summit County: Look for broad-tailed, Rufous and Calliope this summer
- Breckenridge Backstage Theatre presents Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast”
- Breckenridge businesses facing discipline over December drug bust
- Storm set to break Summit County’s dry spell with as many as 7 inches predicted Thursday
- Mysterious Aspen ski rental contract may relate to Trumps
- Summit County works to dispel rumors in the immigrant community
- Summit County daycare teachers to get free health care access