Breckenridge Summer Beer Festival bests wet weather
July 14, 2013
Although a few gray clouds hung over the Breckenridge Summer Beer Fest Saturday, they did nothing to dim the mood of hundreds of beer enthusiasts. While thunder grumbled above and a brief rain shower pushed crowds up against the brewery tents, the majority of the festival featured fun, sun and gallons of craft beer.
West Water Outlaws kicked off the music with tunes that got festivalgoers dancing. Up next were Merle and Thekla Schultz, of Silverthorne, who wowed the crowd with their smooth swing moves. They were followed by the upbeat, rock-inspired sound of Emily Bell, whose visit to the beer festival was her first time in the High Country. It would definitely not be her last, she said.
The festival stretched over two blocks on Ridge Street, doubling its size from spring. Even so, lines for beer snaked across the street and along the sidewalk, portions of which were marked in a rainbow of colors thanks to chalk donated by Breckenridge Art Supply.
The only thing flowing faster than beer was conversation, among locals, Front Rangers and a fair number of out-of-staters. Popular beers included Odell Brewing Co.'s Double Pilsner, a summer seasonal featuring a hefty 9 percent ABV and tons of flavor.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Events
- World-class guitarist to perform in Breckenridge
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Plan your Summit County weekend: Breckenridge’s NRO and BMF orchestras to collaborate
- The Summit Hiker: A Colorado Hike on the Flower Valley/Upper Straight Creek Trails
- Book review: ‘Persian Pickle Club’ explores Dust Bowl-era Kansas
- Amped up: Dillon begins work on $8.4M upgrade to town’s premiere performance venue
- Wolverine returning to Colorado? Federal bureaucracy stands in the way
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)