Come together with people around the world at World Peace Day event in Alma, south of Breckenridge
September 19, 2013
If you go
What: World Peace Day: Peace Elevated
Where: Alma’s Only Bar, 12 S. Main St. in Alma
When: 5 p.m. Saturday
More information: Visit http://www.worldmusicdevelopment.org
World Music Development will celebrate World Peace Day on Saturday with a drum circle, peace meditation, art giveaway and more at Alma's Only Bar, 12 S. Main St. in Alma.
Many nations across the world recognize Sept. 21 as the International Day of Peace, where even the nations in conflict put down their weapons and allow humanitarian aid access in conflict zones.
The evening will start off with a drum circle at 5 p.m., led by Om Shanti Drum Ensemble. Participants are invited to bring their drums and join in, and a few extra drums will be available. At 6 p.m., the event we will join BeThePeace Global, a globally synchronized meditation and prayer for peace in hundreds of cities around the world.
After the meditation, there will be an open jam session for all musicians to join in and create peace through music, which is the core mission of World Music Development. There will be live art taking place during the open jam in two different ways.
"As part of our World Peace Day celebration, we want to create a peace collage for Nancy Wood, of Hope for Children of Africa, to take to Liberia and display at the first-ever public library in the country," wrote Saam Golgoon, founder and president of World Music Development, in an email. "We will provide a roll of butcher paper, art supplies, magazines and markers for attendees to create their expression of peace during this very special event."
"An Act of Peace" will be the title of the collage. Ian Gannon, a local high school student, will be doing live painting during the jam, as well. For a $5 donation, attendees can enter a raffle for Gannon's painting at the end of the evening. The proceeds from the giveaway will go to purchasing a plane ticket for Gannon to travel to Liberia with Hope for Children of Africa in November.
This event is for all ages, and there is no cover. Visit the event page at http://www.worldmusicdevelopment.org/wmd/events for more information.
Trending In: Events
- High Country Birding: Is that a crow or a raven?
- The Crown coffee shop and bar in Breckenridge is a cozy new hangout
- Each ski run at Breckenridge Ski Resort has a name and a story all its own
- Perfecting the craft cocktail at home with Breckenridge Distillery
- St. Patrick’s Day events in Breckenridge, Keystone and around Summit County
- Summit community comes together to support Flight For Life Nurse Dave Repsher (video)
- Male skier, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Buried alive: Colorado Rapid Avalanche Deployment team inches closer to standard avy dog training
- How snowboarding set the evolution of winter sports back three decades (column)
- A mission, a milestone: Seven mountains at 70 years old