Come together with people around the world at World Peace Day event in Alma, south of Breckenridge
September 19, 2013
If you go
What: World Peace Day: Peace Elevated
Where: Alma’s Only Bar, 12 S. Main St. in Alma
When: 5 p.m. Saturday
More information: Visit http://www.worldmusicdevelopment.org
World Music Development will celebrate World Peace Day on Saturday with a drum circle, peace meditation, art giveaway and more at Alma's Only Bar, 12 S. Main St. in Alma.
Many nations across the world recognize Sept. 21 as the International Day of Peace, where even the nations in conflict put down their weapons and allow humanitarian aid access in conflict zones.
The evening will start off with a drum circle at 5 p.m., led by Om Shanti Drum Ensemble. Participants are invited to bring their drums and join in, and a few extra drums will be available. At 6 p.m., the event we will join BeThePeace Global, a globally synchronized meditation and prayer for peace in hundreds of cities around the world.
After the meditation, there will be an open jam session for all musicians to join in and create peace through music, which is the core mission of World Music Development. There will be live art taking place during the open jam in two different ways.
"As part of our World Peace Day celebration, we want to create a peace collage for Nancy Wood, of Hope for Children of Africa, to take to Liberia and display at the first-ever public library in the country," wrote Saam Golgoon, founder and president of World Music Development, in an email. "We will provide a roll of butcher paper, art supplies, magazines and markers for attendees to create their expression of peace during this very special event."
"An Act of Peace" will be the title of the collage. Ian Gannon, a local high school student, will be doing live painting during the jam, as well. For a $5 donation, attendees can enter a raffle for Gannon's painting at the end of the evening. The proceeds from the giveaway will go to purchasing a plane ticket for Gannon to travel to Liberia with Hope for Children of Africa in November.
This event is for all ages, and there is no cover. Visit the event page at http://www.worldmusicdevelopment.org/wmd/events for more information.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Events
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- The Summit Hiker: A Colorado Hike on the Flower Valley/Upper Straight Creek Trails
- Book review: ‘Persian Pickle Club’ explores Dust Bowl-era Kansas
- World-class guitarist to perform in Breckenridge
- Hiking near Breckenridge: Mayflower Gulch-Boston-Gold Hill
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- Couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Breckenridge unveils new Alpine Camp at Epic Discovery fun park