Jump-start your summer in Silverthorne
Ryan Summerlin June 3, 2013
Spend the weekend in Silverthorne, with free activities for the entire family.
Start your summer off today with the Silverthorne Recreation Center’s Summer Kickoff Party, with free admission to the rec center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Join rec center staff as they open the entire facility to the public for this celebration, which includes games, food, fun and friends.
While you’re at the recreation center, swing by the front desk to pick up your School’s Out Pass for $37 for children ages 7 to 17. The pass is valid today through Aug. 19 and makes kids eligible for pass-holder rates on all programs throughout the duration of the pass. No proof of residency is required, and passes must be purchased by June 30.
Continue your weekend Saturday with the annual fishing derby. Bring your own fishing gear to this free event for kids 14 and younger. The pond will be stocked by the Department of Wildlife, and there will be plenty of fish for everyone, as well as food and prizes. The first cast is at 9 a.m. at Trent Park Pond.
Stay in Silverthorne on Saturday for the Safe Summer Kickoff, hosted by the Town of Silverthorne Police Department. This annual event highlights summer recreation and how to keep your family healthy and safe this summer season. Every year, the public safety agencies of Summit County get together to sponsor this annual event, which provides a place for families to gather and learn various safety skills and lessons, while striving to create an environment in which public safety officers can interact and share what they do with the community. There will also be a free barbeque.
“Activities include helmet fittings, adjustments and decorating, car seat checkpoints and inspections, theft prevention tips and home fire safety,” said David Siderfin, community service officer. “Giveaways include used bicycles, bike and skate helmets, bike locks, reflectors, plus the chance to win a brand new bicycle.”
To enter the bike giveaway essay contest, children must have completed an essay form and dropped if off at the Silverthorne Police Department on or before May 24. Children will not be able to turn in their essays at the event. Bikes will be raffled off from completed essays throughout the day of the event. Winners must be present to win.
For more information on any of these upcoming events, call (970) 262-7370 or visit www.silverthorne.org.
Trending In: Events
- Six best fall drives to see colors near Summit County, Colorado (video)
- Hey, Spike! polishes a story of Kingdom royalty
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Parade of Homes event showcases Summit County’s most interesting homes
- New art exhibit in Frisco showcases the Faces of Summit County
- Rocky Mountain Underground opens 1st combo ski shop, bar in Breckenridge
- Breckenridge hires Anne Murphy as new open space and trails manager
- Quandary: Learn about the I-70 Traction Law before the snow hits
- Mountain Town News: Booming summers too much of a good thing? (Column)
- Summit County summer months see bumps in lodging and tourism numbers