Made in Summit County: Breckenridge Soap Co.
October 30, 2013
Name of business or product: Breckenridge Soap Co.
Date business or product was launched: August 2011.
What goods do you make here in Summit County? How much do they cost? Our main focus is making all-natural soap with organic ingredients. We do not use synthetic fragrances or dyes. Instead, all scents come from essential oils, and color is added using clay or herbs. We also make organic lip balms, salves, bath salts and hair masks. Prices range from $3 to $20 per product.
What’s great about making your products here? Our community places a great deal of importance on being healthy, and a big part of that includes eating organic foods and using organic products on our bodies and in our homes. Being surrounded by people who share these common interests is inspiring. Oh, and we get to live in Summit County, which is pretty inspiring.
What’s new with your company or product? We just started making organic hair masks after Cathy Cleary, the owner of B Boutique in Breckenridge, asked us to create a product for dry, itchy scalps. This is an issue that many people in our dry climate experience, and she was in search of a locally made, organic product. After a few months of collaboration, we came up with a great product!
Another new aspect of our company is that we now make amenity soaps for local vacation rental companies. We make small, hotel-sized soaps for both Paragon Lodging and Book Breck. It’s great working with these two companies and coming up with scents that are unique to their businesses. Providing visitors with the opportunity to sample a little more of Breckenridge is a real treat, too, and offering an organic sample is icing on the cake.
Why do you think it’s important for people in Summit County to buy locally made goods? In any community, it’s crucial to support local businesses. By supporting local business, you’re keeping money within the community, and this actually creates a multiplier effect. If you spend money at a local business, a majority of this money is put back into the local economy, thus supporting other local businesses. Basically, you’re keeping money in your own pocket and your neighbor’s, too. You can’t beat this system.
How can people find out more about your products? You can find out more information at our website, http://www.breckenridgesoapco.com. You can also find us on Facebook (text “Like Breckenridge Soap Co” to 32665 to like our page) and Twitter @BreckSoapCo.
Trending In: Events
- Wine Ink column: Duckhorn Wine Co. takes a new flight path
- High Country parents hit the road, combining newborn life with camper life
- Spend New Year’s Eve at one of these parties around Summit County
- Cut your own Christmas tree in Summit County
- Escape Room Breckenridge first of its kind in Summit County
- Summit County locals open French-inspired bistro on Breckenridge Main St.
- Merchants in Breckenridge to pay for customer parking validations
- Chairlift speed dating event at Loveland Ski Area Saturday
- Housing Divided, Part 12: Renters vulnerable in disputes with landlords
- Summit County weather forecast calls for steady snow throughout weekend