Made in Summit County: Breckenridge Soap Co.
October 30, 2013
Name of business or product: Breckenridge Soap Co.
Date business or product was launched: August 2011.
What goods do you make here in Summit County? How much do they cost? Our main focus is making all-natural soap with organic ingredients. We do not use synthetic fragrances or dyes. Instead, all scents come from essential oils, and color is added using clay or herbs. We also make organic lip balms, salves, bath salts and hair masks. Prices range from $3 to $20 per product.
What's great about making your products here? Our community places a great deal of importance on being healthy, and a big part of that includes eating organic foods and using organic products on our bodies and in our homes. Being surrounded by people who share these common interests is inspiring. Oh, and we get to live in Summit County, which is pretty inspiring.
What's new with your company or product? We just started making organic hair masks after Cathy Cleary, the owner of B Boutique in Breckenridge, asked us to create a product for dry, itchy scalps. This is an issue that many people in our dry climate experience, and she was in search of a locally made, organic product. After a few months of collaboration, we came up with a great product!
Another new aspect of our company is that we now make amenity soaps for local vacation rental companies. We make small, hotel-sized soaps for both Paragon Lodging and Book Breck. It's great working with these two companies and coming up with scents that are unique to their businesses. Providing visitors with the opportunity to sample a little more of Breckenridge is a real treat, too, and offering an organic sample is icing on the cake.
Why do you think it's important for people in Summit County to buy locally made goods? In any community, it's crucial to support local businesses. By supporting local business, you're keeping money within the community, and this actually creates a multiplier effect. If you spend money at a local business, a majority of this money is put back into the local economy, thus supporting other local businesses. Basically, you're keeping money in your own pocket and your neighbor's, too. You can't beat this system.
How can people find out more about your products? You can find out more information at our website, http://www.breckenridgesoapco.com. You can also find us on Facebook (text "Like Breckenridge Soap Co" to 32665 to like our page) and Twitter @BreckSoapCo.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Events
- Silverthorne celebrates opening of $9M performing arts center
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Fourth of July in Summit County: Everything you need to know
- A Summit County guide to fireworks and free music on Fourth of July
- Hiking near Breckenridge: Mayflower Gulch-Boston-Gold Hill
- Goar: Vail Resorts leading the charge to address housing crisis (column)
- Summit County police blotter: Trouble with “Mexican Mafia” prompts jewelry theft
- Blue River group recasts hopes of golden fishing designation
- Colorado’s multiplying moose moving eastward, running into people
- High Country Crime: ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor