Made in Summit County: Flourish Artisan Jewelry
October 30, 2013
Name of business or product: Flourish Artisan Jewelry • Works of Art.
Date business or product was launched: November 2012.
What goods do you make here in Summit County? How much do they cost? I make one-of-a-kind, handmade jewelry and other works of art. I have been a graphic designer, owning my own company, for more than 25 years and have made jewelry for more than 15 years. Before moving to Breckenridge, I also taught metalsmithing. All of these things continue on at Flourish — graphic design, jewelry making and metals and jewelry classes.
The main focus of my metalsmithing work is silver jewelry. I like incorporating common and recycled materials — altering purpose and usefulness and elevating what is perceived as refuse into, what I hope is, art. I strive to make a connection with the viewer and wearer, which makes the work exciting and original and can be enjoyed for its beauty and quality. Prices start at $3 and range up to several thousand.
What's great about making your products here? Living in Summit County is an inspiration. The breathtaking mountains and the charm and history of Breckenridge create a perfect atmosphere for creative explorations. The studio at the gallery allows me to create my own work and teach a variety of classes to aspiring jewelry makers.
What's new with your company or product? The artwork in the gallery changes frequently. We're constantly looking for interesting, handmade works that are unique and Colorado-made. Work changes seasonally, as well.
We teach classes on an ongoing basis. Beginning classes are offered every couple of months and are intended to give students the basic skills to make jewelry. The classes for the advanced metal students change on a regular basis.
Why do you think it's important for people in Summit County to buy locally made goods? Locally made items put dollars back into the local economy. Particularly in a resort-based, seasonal economy, artists and businesses rely on local customers. We appreciate the local customers and businesses and value our relationships with them. It's a small, tight-knit community. We all have the same interests of keeping the town historic and recreational. Our hope is to add an art component into the mix.
How can people find out more about your products? My jewelry can be seen online at hollystein.net. Flourish is located at 226 S. Main St. in Breckenridge; stop by any day of the week from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. to check out all the great Colorado artists' work. You can also call us at (970) 389-5301 to inquire about classes and upcoming events. Or visit us at flourishbreck.com.
— Daily News staff report
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Events
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Recipe for two: Simple spinach and kale fettuccine
- Plan your Summit County weekend: Copper Mountain brings the cheese
- The many styles of sauvignon blanc, and New Zealand’s influence on the grape
- The Summit Hiker: A Colorado Hike on the Flower Valley/Upper Straight Creek Trails
- After years of hiding, Summit County sheriff’s deputy proudly comes out as transgender
- The people of Summit County have spoken: They want a Chick-fil-A
- Vail Resorts unhappy as Breckenridge eyes $8.9 million parking garage for Tiger Dredge
- Eagle bar will close earlier, beef up security in wake of Monday attack on bartender
- Summit County police blotter: Tequila-fueled Tinder date ends in robbery