Made in Summit County: Steel & Stone Ironworks
October 30, 2013
Name of business or product: Steel & Stone Ironworks, Silverthorne; steel sculptures and fire pits.
Date business or product was launched: 1995.
What goods do you make here in Summit County? How much do they cost? Steve makes hand-forged and hand-hammered steel sculptures using a 125-year-old blacksmithing forge. He also makes custom designed furniture, custom kitchen hoods, fireplace doors and outdoor fire pits, art for lobbies and hotels and custom art for homes décor — 100 percent of the products are made here in Summit. My mission statement is "to create custom art that inspires the imagination and stirs the soul." My prices range from $25 to $10,000 for commissioned pieces.
What's great about making your products here? Discovering raw materials in and around Summit County; many metals are from old mines and old timers, such as Jack, who is 93 and an old miner from Colorado. Much of these metals are more than 100 years old, so when one purchases a piece of Steve's sculptures, they are investing in a piece of Summit County's history. Each piece has great character and tells a story.
What's new with your company or product? I've been making some smaller more portable fire pits that people can take rafting and camping. I have also been adding more copper and glass to some pieces for an added dimension. I cover a range from fire to ice; both locals and tourists love the varieties.
Why do you think it's important for people in Summit County to buy locally made goods? To enjoy something hand crafted in Summit County by a Colorado native. It's great to support the local artists and businesses. The income provided by goods purchased in Summit County has the effect of circulation throughout our local economy and supports other local businesses. It basically has a ripple effect.
How can people find out more about your products? To contact me, call my studio at 970-468-7474 or my cell at 970-418-1007. My email is email@example.com. My website is http://www.steeland stoneironworks.com. My studio is located in Dillon/Silverthorne.
Do you have a product that's made right here in Summit County? Contact A&E editor Krista Driscoll at firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in Made in Summit.
Trending In: Events
- High Country Birding: Is that a crow or a raven?
- Music Scene: Live music from Breckenridge, Frisco, Summit County and beyond
- This weekend’s live music from Breckenridge, Frisco & Summit County
- How the trails on Breckenridge Ski Resort’s Peak 10 got their names
- Summit County singer Beau Thomas takes the stage on NBC’s ‘The Voice’
- Summit County police blotter: Cop stumbles on freshly-powdered nose
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Fremont Recpath receives $4 million in federal funds for construction
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen