Meta Yoga Studios hosts Douglas Brooks for workshop on Tantra
July 12, 2014
If you go
What: Tantra Unveiled: A Candid Introduction to the Practices of Light and Shadow, with Dr. Douglas Brooks
When: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 15, and Wednesday, July 16
Where: Historic mining town of Dry Gulch, located at 14334 County Road 300, 5 miles from Main Street Breckenridge
Cost: $145 for a single day, or $275 for the full workshop
Brooks is a scholar of Hinduism, south Asian languages and the comparative study of religions. He lived in India with his teacher, Dr. Gopala Aiyar Sundaramoorthy, for many years studying and practicing Srividya, auspicious wisdom and the modern traditions of goddess-centered Tantra. Currently professor of religion at the University of Rochester, he holds a master's and a doctorate from Harvard University.
The workshop will look at a wide array of expressions of Tantra, from alchemy to contemplative mysticism, probing into the essential teachings to trace the developments of traditions such as Kashmir Shaivism and the Shakta goddess-centered Shrividya. Toward the end, participants will dip their toes into an experience of the rich synesthetic tradition of Brooks' own Rajanaka Tantra.
Murray Greene will assist Brooks, with asana with Erin Keeley Phillips and music by Sandi Winegrad Siegel.
"It's going to be an introduction to the tantric practices and the practices of light and shadow," said Emily Steingart, marketing manager for Meta Yoga Studios. "It will introduce us to the origins and development of Tantra and what Tantra is. It's a great beginner's introduction to Tantra, what it is and how it can help you."
Each day of the workshop will start with yoga practice, followed by a lecture from Brooks, lunch and another lecture. The session on Tuesday, July 15, will end with an evening ceremony, Steingart said. Participants can purchase either a one-day or two-day pass, and the workshop takes place in the historic mining town of Dry Gulch, located near Breckenridge.
"You'll learn the expressions of Tantra and the teachings of Tantra, the traditions of Tantra, looking into the goddesses," Steingart said. "For people who are interested in digging a little bit deeper into Tantra, it's going to introduce us to the origins and development of Tantra."
For more information on Brooks, visit http://www.rajanaka.com.
Trending In: Events
- High Country Birding: Is that a crow or a raven?
- The Crown coffee shop and bar in Breckenridge is a cozy new hangout
- Each ski run at Breckenridge Ski Resort has a name and a story all its own
- Perfecting the craft cocktail at home with Breckenridge Distillery
- St. Patrick’s Day events in Breckenridge, Keystone and around Summit County
- Summit community comes together to support Flight For Life Nurse Dave Repsher (video)
- Male skier, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Buried alive: Colorado Rapid Avalanche Deployment team inches closer to standard avy dog training
- How snowboarding set the evolution of winter sports back three decades (column)
- A mission, a milestone: Seven mountains at 70 years old