Music Scene: The Congress shakes it at Arapahoe Basin
May 9, 2014
Friday, May 9
The Congress shakes at A-Basin
The Shakin' at the Basin May Concert Series continues Saturday, May 10, with The Congress. Evoking emotions that you thought had long passed — the feeling of your first powder run or the way you feel listening to a worn vinyl as it warmly crackles against the sound of a summer night — The Congress is naturally compared to many names and styles of years gone by. But drawing such comparisons is, in many respects, a misguided endeavor. The Congress are a natural evolution of more than 60 years of purely American music. With a spirit rooted just south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and now calling Denver their home, they've got enough soul and grit and have spent enough time in the woodshed and on the road to call them pretty much whatever you want. The free, family-friendly concert runs from 1 to 4 p.m. in the base area. Visit http://www.arapahoebasin.com for more information.
Local DJ at the Snake in Keystone
DJ Cyn will play your favorite top-40 and rock hits at the Snake River Saloon in Keystone on Friday, May 9. Cynthia (DJ Cyn) is a freestyle DJ, meaning she plays to the vibe of the crowd. Music has always been her passion so it was natural for her to pursue it. She started off in Breckenridge part time and after only her first year, she fell in love with entertaining crowds and knew it was her calling. Cynthia then started expanding her musical interest as an MC, host and singer at events, soon after working in production with other MC's and bands and recording and creating her own music. Doors open at 4 p.m., and the music starts at 9:30. Call (970) 468-2788 for more information.
Saturday, May 10
The Snake hosts Leadville's Groovespeak
The Snake River Saloon in Keystone will welcome Groovespeak on Saturday, May 10. Coming to you from the heart of the beautiful high mountains of Leadville, Groovespeak provides its audience with original, heart-felt vocal harmonies and smokin' hot jams. Members of Groovespeak have played in such groups as The Fringe, Psilly Psyche Band, The Spores, Planet Earth, Shot, 2 Miles High, Cloud City Fatties, Soulfori, The Funk Daddies, Deep Five, Group W and have shared the stage with many other well-know artists. Doors open at 4 p.m., and the music starts at 9:30. Call (970) 468-2788 for more information.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Events
- Silverthorne celebrates opening of $9M performing arts center
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Fourth of July in Summit County: Everything you need to know
- A Summit County guide to fireworks and free music on Fourth of July
- Hiking near Breckenridge: Mayflower Gulch-Boston-Gold Hill
- Goar: Vail Resorts leading the charge to address housing crisis (column)
- Blue River group recasts hopes of golden fishing designation
- Colorado’s multiplying moose moving eastward, running into people
- Summit County police blotter: Trouble with “Mexican Mafia” prompts jewelry theft
- High Country Crime: ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor