Scavenger hunt, lifeguard demonstrations close out Water Safety Month
May 29, 2014
If you go
What: Water Safety Month finale
When: 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 31
Where: Silverthorne Recreation Center, 430 Rainbow Drive, Silverthorne
Cost: Admission to the pool and water-safety activities are free
More information: Visit http://www.silverthorne.org
To celebrate the end of a successful Water Safety Month, the Silverthorne Recreation Center is offering free pool admission from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, May 31. School-aged students, kindergarten through fifth grade, also can participate in a pirate-themed scavenger hunt from 9 to 10:30 a.m.
"Get your pirate loot and practice a few ways to stay safe in and around the water this summer," said Suzanna Barth, program pool manager, about the planned scavenger hunt.
Between 10:30 and 11:30 a.m., there will be a series of lifeguard demonstrations with real-world simulations. Pools will be cleared in 5- to 10-minute increments, and lifeguards will be called upon to perform rescues.
"This is a great opportunity to practice our skills outside of our regular trainings," said Paul Kulik, aquatics coordinator. "These live situations that will include pool patrons allow us to gauge 'real time' emergencies and response times."
Barth said there have been more than 130 visits to the rec center's water-safety activities through the month and it would be awesome to see everyone again and meet many new children on Saturday for a "safe" pirate adventure.
"As we enter summer, there are just too many preventable water tragedies to not consider reminders and practice opportunities for playing safe around water," Barth said. "Rivers, ponds, lakes, (un-)guarded pools: You name it, Summit County has it."
For more information and a full calendar of rec center events, visit http://www.silverthorne.org, call (970) 262-7392, or stop by the Silverthorne Recreation Center.
Trending In: Events
- St. Patrick’s Day events in Breckenridge, Keystone and around Summit County
- Roundup of St. Patrick’s Day events and specials around Summit County
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Perfecting the craft cocktail at home with Breckenridge Distillery
- Powder Keg: Local, regional breweries celebrate Colorado Craft Beer Week
- Summit County bars and restaurants taking up the fight against sexual assault
- Vail Resorts to buy Stowe Mountain Resort in Vermont
- Summit County assessor triumphs in bulk of initial property-tax appeals
- Officials remove aircraft wreckage from Colorado wilderness
- Snowboarder seriously injured at Buttermilk in Aspen