Smokin’ barbecue at high altitude
June 20, 2013
The South Park Chamber of Commerce will host the inaugural South Park Kick Ass BBQ Competition in Fairplay on Friday and Saturday.
This is a national Kansas City BBQ Society and Rocky Mountain BBQ Association-sanctioned banner barbecue competition, with 24 of the top barbecue teams competing for prize money, bragging rights and advancement on to the American Royal in Kansas City, Mo., in the fall.
Join the festivities as barbecue masters from across the U.S. vie for top honors during two days of cooking, competition and tasting the best barbecue in the country. The event is family friendly, with live music, vendors, a kids' zone and, of course, plenty of finger licking barbecue goodness.
Get your grub on
A wide array of food vendors from Salida, Bailey, Gunnison and Arizona, along with Denver Food Trucks, Biker Jim's Dogs, Mestizos, Still Smokin' BBQ, Little India, The Denver Pie Truck, N Z's Smokin Guns BBQ and Capt'n Crabby, are all making the trek over the pass to temp your palette with incredible food ranging from pies, grilled corn, pig wings, smoked turkey legs and samosas to tiki masala, iced chai tea, crab cakes, elk, rattlesnake and bison brats.
To quench your thirst, the tap truck will be parked in the outdoor food court serving Coors and Fat Tire, with Vino Salida providing the wine. Sampling booths will be selling sauces, rubs, salsas, cheeses, preserves, chocolates and more.
Rocky Mountain Stove from Lakewood will give cooking demonstrations using the Big Green Egg. Chef Adam Feinberg, of Feiny's Gourmet Rubs, will be creating a chef's tasting menu Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. at the South Park Steak House on Front Street, where Breckenridge Distillery will delight visitors with its signature tastings of bourbon. Tickets are available by calling (781) 760-6014 and asking for the "Chefs Bourbon & BBQ Event."
History in the making
Two Guinness World Records will be attempted, as the South Park Kick Ass BBQ will be the "Highest BBQ Competition in the World," and to benefit the South Park Learning Center, the South Park Friends of the Fairplay Library will be challenging the 2008 record for most people balancing books on their heads (949). Both challenges are on Saturday afternoon.
The South Park Kick Ass BBQ will also feature two days of live music, with performances by Jaden Carlson, Jet Edison, Fox Street AllStars and Ivory Drive, along with other local favorites. The live music and the barbecue competition are free to attend. Other purchases at the event require Burro Bucks, which are available from the South Park Chamber of Commerce tent and staff throughout the event. Cash and credit cards will both be accepted.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Events
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Plan your Summit County weekend: Copper Mountain brings the cheese
- Recipe for two: Simple spinach and kale fettuccine
- The many styles of sauvignon blanc, and New Zealand’s influence on the grape
- The Summit Hiker: A Colorado Hike on the Flower Valley/Upper Straight Creek Trails
- After years of hiding, Summit County sheriff’s deputy proudly comes out as transgender
- The people of Summit County have spoken: They want a Chick-fil-A
- Vail Resorts unhappy as Breckenridge eyes $8.9 million parking garage for Tiger Dredge
- Eagle bar will close earlier, beef up security in wake of Monday attack on bartender
- Summit County police blotter: Tequila-fueled Tinder date ends in robbery