Summit County Libraries launch Children’s Book Week Monday, May 12
Ryan Summerlin May 9, 2014
If you go
What: Hip-hop musical guest Mr. Kneel performs during Preschool Story Time
When and where: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 14, at the Main Library in Frisco; 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 14, at North Branch Library in Silverthorne; and 11 a.m. Tuesday, May 13, at South Branch Library in Breckenridge
Children’s Book Week, a literacy initiative, is an annual event that began in 1919. Since 2008, it has been celebrated in the United States in May. This year’s event is Monday, May 12, through Sunday, May 18. During Children’s Book Week, public libraries, school libraries and bookstores generally have special activities for children that are designed to encourage a love of books.
In the words of the Children’s Book Council, “A celebration of the written word, Children’s Book Week introduces young people to new authors and ideas in schools, libraries, homes and bookstores. Through Children’s Book Week, the Children’s Book Council encourages young people and their caregivers to discover the complexity of the world beyond their own experience through books.”
Locally, Summit County Libraries will host special hip-hop musical guest Mr. Kneel during Preschool Story Time. Mr. Kneel will be at the Main Library in Frisco on Wednesday, May 14, at 10:30 a.m. The South Branch Library in Breckenridge will host Mr. Kneel on Tuesday, May 13, at 11 a.m., and the North Branch Library in Silverthorne will have the performance on Wednesday, May 14, at 1 p.m.
The Children’s Book Week website includes bookmarks for downloading and a variety of activities for kids and teens, information on official events, plus tips and resources for teachers, librarians, publishers and booksellers. All of these resources celebrate the joy of children’s books.
Trending In: Events
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Six best fall drives to see colors near Summit County, Colorado (video)
- Hey, Spike! polishes a story of Kingdom royalty
- Parade of Homes event showcases Summit County’s most interesting homes
- New art exhibit in Frisco showcases the Faces of Summit County
- Rocky Mountain Underground opens 1st combo ski shop, bar in Breckenridge
- ‘Deplorables for Trump’ banner vandalized in Dillon
- Breckenridge hires Anne Murphy as new open space and trails manager
- Housing Divided, Part 1: Study confirms severity of Summit County housing crisis
- Summit County real estate round-up: Lack of property stock causes stall in August sales