Town of Silverthorne presents fishing derby, Safe Summer Kickoff
June 6, 2014
If you go
What: Kids’ fishing derby
When: 9-11 a.m. Saturday, June 7
Where: Trent Park Pond, Willowbrook Road and Blue River Parkway, Silverthorne
Cost: Free for ages 14 and younger
What: Safe Summer Kickoff
When: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 7
Where: Silverthorne Elementary School, 101 Hamilton Creek Drive
More information: Call (970) 262- 7370, or visit http://www.silverthorne.org.
Don't miss out on a weekend of family fun in Silverthorne. The free activities start with the annual Recreation Department kids' fishing derby on Saturday, June 7. The event for ages 14 and younger.
"This event is an exciting event, as it marks the beginning of summer here in the High Country," said Nancy Bomgardner, special events coordinator for the town of Silverthorne. "We have a great turnout every year, and the delight on the kids' faces when they do land that big one is priceless."
The pond will be stocked by the Department of Wildlife — meaning there will be plenty of fish for everyone — and aspiring anglers are asked to bring their own fishing gear. The first cast is at 9 a.m. at Trent Park Pond, and attendees can enjoy community, food, fun and prizes.
The fun continues in Silverthorne at the Safe Summer Kickoff, hosted by the Silverthorne Police Department. This annual event highlights summer recreation and how to keep your family healthy and safe this season. This event provides a place for families to learn various safety skills and lessons, while striving to create an environment in which safety officers can interact with the public and share what they do in the community. There will also be a free barbecue.
"Activities include helmet fittings, adjustments and decorating, car seat checkpoints and inspections, theft prevention tips, fingerprinting for kids and home fire safety," said community service officer David Siderfin. "Giveaways include used bicycles, bike and skate helmets, bike locks, reflectors, plus the chance to win a brand-new bicycle."
For more information on any of these events, call (970) 262- 7370 or visit http://www.silverthorne.org.
Trending In: Events
- High Country Birding: Is that a crow or a raven?
- St. Patrick’s Day events in Breckenridge, Keystone and around Summit County
- Hike leads kids along fairy forest trail in Breckenridge
- Summit County singer Beau Thomas takes the stage on NBC’s ‘The Voice’
- How the trails on Breckenridge Ski Resort’s Peak 10 got their names
- Breckenridge police issued shelter in place warning due to barricarded individual
- Healthy economy, cheap gas prices mean more trips to Summit — and more traffic fatalities
- After devastating injuries, Chris Hawks returns to the slopes as a coach
- Summit County bars and restaurants taking up the fight against sexual assault
- Snowboarder seriously injured at Buttermilk in Aspen