Travel Slide Show in Silverthorne explores island of Madagascar
March 13, 2014
If you go
What: Madagascar, part of the Travel Slide Show series
When: 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14
Where: Blue River Room, North Branch Library, 651 Center Circle, Silverthorne
Cost: Free, donations gratefully accepted
More information: Follow the library on Facebook and Twitter or check the website at http://www.summitcountylibraries.org for more information on the series or to participate in future slide shows
Next up on the Travel Slide Show series at the North Branch Library in Silverthorne, a place you might have never visited — Madagascar. Join Bob Hinderholtz as he brings the sights of this “wild” place to you on Friday, Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. in the Blue River Room.
Madagascar is an island off the east coast of Africa with its own unique ecosystems and wildlife. There are lemurs, reptiles and other animals, along with ecosystems such as the spiny forest, where every plant has needles like a cactus, and rain forests. Because Madagascar is almost on the equator, the temperatures don’t vary widely — generally between 50 degrees and 80 degrees.
Hinderholtz visited the island in June 2012 as part of a tour with about 15 other people. The eco-tour lasted two weeks.
“Madagascar is known for its lemur population, some of which are endangered and others are not,” he said. “The number of species is thought to be between 115 and 315 — no one really knows. … Madagascar also has some of the friendliest, fun-loving people I’ve ever met.”
Explore this wild and diverse island with Hinderholtz on Friday, Feb. 14. This free program is presented by the Friends of Summit County Libraries, and any donations will help the organization with its fundraising efforts to help purchase books and other supplies.
Trending In: Events
- Wine Ink column: Duckhorn Wine Co. takes a new flight path
- High Country parents hit the road, combining newborn life with camper life
- Cut your own Christmas tree in Summit County
- Spend New Year’s Eve at one of these parties around Summit County
- Escape Room Breckenridge first of its kind in Summit County
- Summit County locals open French-inspired bistro on Breckenridge Main St.
- Merchants in Breckenridge to pay for customer parking validations
- Housing Divided, Part 12: Renters vulnerable in disputes with landlords
- Chairlift speed dating event at Loveland Ski Area Saturday
- Summit County weather forecast calls for steady snow throughout weekend