Upper Blue Elementary School’s Halloween Boo Fest!
October 28, 2013
Upper Blue Elementary School was rocking yesterday as children and parents alike flocked to the inaugural Boo Fest. The event featured food, booths, games, dance performances and a carnival-style atmosphere.
"We've had a great turnout and everybody seems to be excited," said Irina Garner, parent of an Upper Blue first-grader.
The Boo Fest was a PTA fundraiser to help pay for more technology in the classrooms.
"We're working on getting iPads for every classroom," said Boo Fest committee chairwoman Shannon Bosgraaf.
Local businesses also donated to the event by stocking booths with Halloween food, games and crafts.
Spirit Halloween sponsored a haunted house and the Summit Dancers Pom Squad performed onstage.
One of the most popular events was the "Punkin Chunkin" contest. A group of Upper Blue dads, dubbed the "Lords of the Gourds," constructed a large catapult from materials donated by the Breckenridge Building Center. Kids then lined up to put their pumpkin in the bucket and pull the cable to release the catapult. The pumpkins arced over the hillside to splatter among painted cardboard targets roughly 100 yards away, to much cheering and clapping.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Events
- Rain means Colorado mushroom hunting is on
- This weekend’s live music from Breckenridge, Frisco & Summit County
- Music Scene: Live music from Breckenridge, Frisco, Summit County and beyond
- Breckenridge Ski Resort Peak 9 run names have history that goes back farther than peak’s inception in ’70s
- High Country Birding: Is that a crow or a raven?