On the Hill video report: Deep in it at Copper Mountain
Ryan Summerlin February 1, 2014
VIDEO: Summit Daily News sports and outdoor editor Sebastian Foltz gets in deep at Copper Mountain
Copper Mountain: Reporting 18 inches of new snow in the last 24 hours 26 inches in the last 48. Snow through the day, slightly chilly temps in 12-20 range. Moderate winds today out of the west may make your skiing a little bit colder as well. Resort cautions frost bite concerns.
Explore Summit field report: Heavier snow than yesterday, but just shy of amazing. Go for the steeps! Riders and skiers are likely to find fresh lines throughout the day. Expect some terrain openings later in the day, on both Friday and Saturday. Get off your couch and get after it. While the Summit Daily News does not advocate calling in sick to work, we have heard there is a bug going around, so employers: sick days may be legitimate.
Weather: High teens in the morning, possibly warmer than the forecast. Expected high in the low 20’s
Liftline status: Powderhounds lined up prior to open. Little or know line at 9:30 a.m.
Run of the day: Oh No to Andy’s Encore at Copper
Breakdown: Copper reporting 23 lifts open. Some likely to open later in the morning or early afternoon.
Snowcast: NOAA is calling for snow and high near 21. West wind 7 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible. Snow Friday night with a low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -8. West northwest wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Trending In: On The Hill
- Suicide rate in Summit County reaching record levels
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Election 2016: Health care professionals raise concerns about Amendment 69; supporters say it will cure state’s health care ills
- Rocky Mountain Underground opens 1st combo ski shop, bar in Breckenridge