On the Hill video report: Sunny skies and high winds at Breckenridge, Grand Prix finals delayed
January 11, 2014
VIDEO: Summit Daily News sports and outdoor editor Sebastian Foltz checks in from the base of the Grand Prix course at Peak 8 in Breckenridge on a Saturday morning.
Explore Summit field report: It's a windy one at Breckenridge. Blue skies and sun for now. The next weather system is to come through this evening and into Sunday.
Weather: Sunny with consistent winds, high of 30 expected.
Liftline status: Likely setting up for a crowded Saturday
Run of the day: Peak 8 base area.
Breakdown: Breckenridge is reporting 33 of 34 lifts expected to open with 2382 acres of terrain.
Snowcast: NOAA is calling for mostly cloudy skies, with a high near 33. Breezy, with a west wind around 23 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph.
A chance of snow before 11p.m. tonight, then snow likely with areas of blowing snow after 11 p.m. Cloudy, with a low around 16. Breezy, with a west wind 18 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Winter Weather Advisory is in effect until January 12, 12:00 AM MST
Winter Storm Watch in effect from January 12, 12:00 AM MST until January 13, 11:00 AM MST
Trending In: On The Hill
- On The Hill: Winter storm warning in effect *finally* for Breckenridge (video)
- On The Hill: Backcountry 201 at Mayflower Gulch with Weston and Colorado Snowboard Guides (video)
- On The Hill: Riding logs and charging hard on a Winter Park road trip (video)
- On The Hill: Backcountry 101 at Mayflower Gulch with Colorado Snowboard Guides (video)
- On The Hill: Breckenridge Lake Chutes on a bluebird day with fresh snow (video)
- Male skier, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Buried alive: Colorado Rapid Avalanche Deployment team inches closer to standard avy dog training
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- A mission, a milestone: Seven mountains at 70 years old
- The Limelight: Dillon’s Chase Blackwell before the 2017 Burton U.S. Open