Aspen Journalism, a local nonprofit organization, obtained the video of the fatal plane crash on Jan. 5, by way of a Colorado Open Records Act request to the Aspen-Pitkin County Airport. The video has appeared on websites throughout the world. "Together, the video feeds from the five infrared cameras show the jet's engines firing just before touching down, as if the pilot was trying to abort the landing at the last second," wrote Aspen Journalism. "The plane then bounces hard off the runway, leaps into the air and comes in hard nose-first before bursting into flames. The video also shows a rescue vehicle quickly responding to the crash." All three passengers aboard the Challenger CL-600 were pilots. One of the co-pilots was killed, while the other two were hospitalized with injuries.
Video shows Jan. 5 plane crash at Aspen-Pitkin County Airport
Trending in: Announcements
- Summit’s Mitchell Gray pitches for New Zealand in IBAF 21U Baseball World Cup
- New Epic Mountain Gear store opens in Frisco
- High Country Baking column: Change up your typical pumpkin bread
- Give the bird a rest Thanksgiving in favor of an alternative protein
- Racial disparities an issue in Denver police shootings, I-News inquiry finds