Breckenridge Music Festival orchestra and chamber concerts begin Thursday
July 12, 2007
BRECKENRIDGE ” The Breckenridge Music Festival Orchestra launches its 27th season on Thursday at the Riverwalk Center in Breckenridge. Between July 17 and Aug. 19 the BMF’s 45 professional musicians will present 13 main-stage concerts at the Riverwalk Center as well as 13 smaller chamber concerts at local churches and homes. Maestro Gerhardt Zimmermann returns to Breckenridge for his 15th season to produce a season of chamber and orchestral music with classical symphonic and intimate chamber along with jazz and opera. Below are some of the highlights.
The festival’s opening concert is Thursday and will include Copland’s Fanfare for a Common Man, Mozart’s Sinfonia Concertante for Oboe, Clarinet, Horn and Bassoon, K. 279b, Haydn’s Symphony No. 103 “Drumroll” and Walton’s Crown Imperial March.
Concert-goers are invited to join maestro Zimmermann and the orchestra for a complimentary champagne toast following the concert.
Winners of the Wells Music – Yamaha Piano Competition will be joining the BMF Orchestra for two nights during the festival. Yale Work will perform Schumann’s Concerto for Piano, Mvt. 1 with the orchestra on Friday, Aug. 10 and Pan Xiao will perform Saint-Saëns’ Concerto for Piano No. 2, Mvt. 1 on Aug. 11.
The bold sounds of brass mark the Wednesday, Aug. 8 concert, featuring all brass compositions. No strings no woodwinds, just the BMF Orchestra brass section.
Opera aficionados won’t want to miss the Aug. 11 concert, “Opera Night – Great Opera Choruses” with soprano, Jacquelyn Culpepper; mezzo-soprano, Perri Montane; tenor, Jonathan Hodel and bass-baritone, Daniel Boye.
Recommended Stories For You
The 2007 summer season’s conclusion will showcase the orchestra musicians with performances of Rossini’s Overture to “Cenerentola,” Hummel’s Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra, Debussy’s Premier Rhapsody for Clarinet and Orchestra, Sarasate’s Carmen Fantasy, Op. 25 and Britten’s Variations on a Theme of Purcell.
7:30 p.m. at the Riverwalk Center (unless otherwise noted). Individual concert tickets vary. Season, flex and four-pack passes are available. Call the Riverwalk Center box office at (970) 547-3100 for tickets. Visit http://www.breckenridgemusicfestival.com for more info.
– Tuesday, July 17 at Lord of the Mountains church in Dillon
Chamber concert: “Beethoven and Brahms”
– Thursday, July 19, Orchestra season opening concert
– Saturday, July 21, Orchestra concert
Featuring Michael Bunchman, piano
– Tuesday, July 24, Chamber concert: “Baroque Bash”
Bach: Chorale from Cantata No. 4, “Christ lag in Todesbanden”
– Thursday, July 26, BMF and NRO joint classical concert
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7, Allegretto
– Saturday, July 28, Orchestra concert: “Lord of the Rings”
Featuring special guest conductor David Warble, who originally conducted the London Symphony Orchestra in their recording of the Lord of the Rings Symphony
– Tuesday, July 31 at Father Dyer church in Breckenridge, Chamber concert: “An Evening of Serenades”
– Thursday, Aug. 2, Orchestra concert: “Bach to Bach to Featuring Kathryn Hatmaker, violin and Sandra Stimson, oboe
– Friday, Aug. 3, Orchestra concert: “Mozart and Prague””
Featuring Robin Sutherland, piano
– Tuesday, Aug. 7 at the Silverthorne Pavilion, Chamber concert: “Robin Sutherland and Friends”
Featuring Robin Sutherland, piano
– Wednesday, Aug. 8, BMF brass concert
Purcell/Crees: Suite from “The FairyQueen”
– Friday, Aug. 10, Orchestra concert: “Vienna, City of My Dreams”
Featuring, BMF Guest Vocalists
– Saturday, Aug. 11, Orchestra concert: “Opera Night ” Great Opera Choruses”
Featuring BMF guest vocalists, The Summit Choral Society and Front Range choruses
Featuring Pan Xiao – Division III winner of the Wells Music – Yamaha Piano Competition
Featuring Dan Boye, Bass-Baritone
– Tuesday, Aug. 14 at St. Mary’s church in Breckenridge, Chamber concert
– Wednesday, Aug. 15, Cabaret concert: “Red, Hot and Jazzy”
Featuring the BMF Jazz Trio and vocalists performing Cabaret songs, torch songs and Broadway melodies
– Friday, Aug. 17, Orchestra concert: “Music and Art”
– Saturday, Aug. 18, Orchestra season finale: “BMF Orchestra Showcase”
Featuring John Macfarlane, violin
At the Riverwalk Center at 7:30 p.m.
– Sunday, July 15, George Winston
Ticket prices are $25 in advance or $28 the day of the show.
– Sunday, Aug. 12, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Founded in California during 1965, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band played a key role in the transformation from folk-rock into country-rock. Ticket prices are $40 in advance and day of show.
– Sunday, Aug. 19, Asleep at the Wheel
This Western swing band has entertained thousands of people across the country and has won nine Grammys since 1970. Ticket prices are $20 in advanceor $25 the day of the show.