A-Basin sets Beacon Bowl for February
January 26, 2014
Arapahoe Basin Ski Area announced this week it is hosting Saturday, Feb. 8 the 12th Annual Beacon Bowl and Avalanche Awareness Day.
Proceeds from the event will benefit the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, a statewide organization charged with forecasting backcountry avalanche and weather conditions, supporting the Colorado Department of Transportation in highway avalanche mitigation and conducting community education programs.
"The CAIC does an extraordinary job, on a limited budget, of forecasting conditions for Colorado skiers and riders," said A-Basin COO Alan Henceroth in a news release. "It's our hope that the Beacon Bowl will raise some money to help them carry out their critical mission."
Last season's event at A-Basin raised more than $10,000 for the CAIC, the release stated. Scheduled events for the Beacon Bowl include an on-mountain beacon search competition, an avalanche dog demonstration, beacon clinics and an après party in the A-Frame base lodge with a raffle and live and silent auctions.
During the Beacon Bowl competition, participants simulate an avalanche search-and-rescue operation by trying to locate beacons buried in the snow. The contest is divided into two divisions — recreational and professional — and features prizes from Spyder.
The pro division features ski patrollers broken up into teams of two, with the top team taking home the Beacon Bowl Cup.
Recommended Stories For You
"This is a great opportunity for us to showcase the skills that we practice on all season," said Tony Cammarata, A-Basin's director of ski patrol and defending Beacon Bowl champion, in the release. "I think everybody has fun getting the competitive juices flowing and giving it their best shot at the hardware."
Registration and check-in begin at 8 a.m. in the A-Frame base lodge. The Beacon Bowl costs $25, which includes entry to the competition, a raffle entry, a slice of pizza and a beer during the après ski party. There is a discounted Beacon Bowl entry fee for professional ski patrollers. The event is free and open to the viewing public.
The après ski party and awards presentation begins at 3:30 p.m. at the A-Frame lodge. Among the major sponsors with items up for live and silent auction are New Belgium, Ski Logik, Black Diamond/Pieps, BCA, Spyder, Ortovox, Wilderness Sports and Friends of the CAIC.
For more information or to register a team, visit http://www.arapahoebasin.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- High Country Crime: Steamboat Springs “homeless chef” accused of selling heroin
- Summit County police blotter: Breckenridge man calls 911 during his own DUI stop
- Summit County police blotter: ‘Shady local woman’ swipes tourist’s pants and wallet in Breckenridge
- Summit County felony cases on the rise, reflecting statewide violent crime trends
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- The fate of skiing: Winter Park Resort bucks trends as industry concerns grow over lack of skiing millennials
- ‘Opt-out’ votes look like slam dunks in Silverthorne, Dillon
- Park County residents rescue dog from 25-foot mine shaft in Fairplay (video)
- New 6-person chairlift installed at Keystone Resort (photo slideshow)