Man dies during rafting trip on the Blue River north of Silverthorne
July 8, 2014
A man died Sunday during a rafting trip on the Blue River north of Silverthorne.
Charles Emery, 70, of Denver, was part of a group of nine people on a noncommercial raft trip, said Charles Pitman, spokesman for the all-volunteer nonprofit Summit County Rescue Group.
First responders received a call around 1 p.m. Sunday and drove to the scene between Silverthorne and Green Mountain Reservoir, near mile marker 112 on Highway 9 about three miles north of the Blue River Campground.
Another person with an injury of unknown severity was taken to St. Anthony Summit Medical Center, Pitman said, and the other seven people in the water were found after a search that initially spanned six miles of river.
As of late Sunday afternoon, more details surrounding the accident remained unclear, he said.
The Summit Daily News will update this story as more information becomes available.
Trending In: Crime
- Breckenridge dog mauled by mastiff, put down a month later
- Summit County coroner’s survivor program offers help for families impacted by death
- Breckenridge car crash claims life of mother of one from Blue River
- Summit County police blotter: Seven-year-old saves face at Copper Mountain Resort
- Summit County rescuers responded to three avalanches this weekend
- Vail Resorts’ partner submits Keystone workforce housing proposal
- Video footage from Breckenridge’s Race of the Santas; Bernese Mountain Dog parade
- Summit Daily letters: Frisco Town Council rushes to build superblock on Main Street
- Summit School District again bests all-time enrollment total
- 4 winter sports to burn calories and have a blast