Man dies during rafting trip on the Blue River north of Silverthorne
Ryan Summerlin July 8, 2014
A man died Sunday during a rafting trip on the Blue River north of Silverthorne.
Charles Emery, 70, of Denver, was part of a group of nine people on a noncommercial raft trip, said Charles Pitman, spokesman for the all-volunteer nonprofit Summit County Rescue Group.
First responders received a call around 1 p.m. Sunday and drove to the scene between Silverthorne and Green Mountain Reservoir, near mile marker 112 on Highway 9 about three miles north of the Blue River Campground.
Another person with an injury of unknown severity was taken to St. Anthony Summit Medical Center, Pitman said, and the other seven people in the water were found after a search that initially spanned six miles of river.
As of late Sunday afternoon, more details surrounding the accident remained unclear, he said.
The Summit Daily News will update this story as more information becomes available.
Trending In: Crime
- Summit County emergency crews stage mass shooter simulation
- Amaya’s ex-wife says they tried exorcism of him two years before double homicide
- Truck stolen from Wildernest winds up on Baldy Road in Breckenridge
- Summit County coroner responds to two suicide reports
- 3,000 pot plants seized in illegal Garfield County grow