Second suspect in Summit County machete attack could be tried as adult
July 4, 2014
OLSON WAS CHARGED WITH:
attempted first-degree murder, a Class 2 felony
first-degree assault, a Class 3 felony
menacing, a Class 5 felon
conspiracy, a Class 6 felony
Bond for Brodi Olson, the second suspect in the alleged Swan Mountain machete attack, was set at $100,000 Thursday, July 3, in Summit County District Court.
Olson, 16, of the Denver-metro area, was initially detained without bond and charged with four felonies for his alleged involvement in the violent attack in June. District Attorney Bruce Brown decided last week to charge Olson as an adult.
During Thursday's bond hearing, deputy district attorney John Franks argued Olson's bond should be set no lower than $250,000 due to the violent nature of the alleged crime.
"This was not a flash of poor decision making," Franks said, "but rather a careful plot to take somebody's life."
“This was not a flash of poor decision making, but rather a careful plot to take somebody’s life.”
deputy district attorney
He added that Olson and the first suspect arrested, Tyrus Vanmetre, made attempts to disarm the victim, who is lucky to have survived the attack.
Olson's attorney, Mike Morrissey, of Denver, asked chief judge Mark Thompson for a significantly lower bond of $10,000 to $50,000.
Olson has no prior criminal record or history of violence, Morrissey argued, and his parents, both in attendance, said he does not have discipline problems at home.
Franks pointed out that Olson has two prior juvenile convictions.
Morrissey described Olson as an excellent student with access to a part-time construction job through his father. The teen is not a flight risk and should be allowed to stay with his parents, Morrissey said. Olson's parents are divorced but have no problems sharing custody.
Olson was placed on suicide watch when first detained at Mount View Youth Services Center in Denver, but Morrissey argued that was simply standard protocol, saying staff there determined he is no threat to himself or others and has been a model inmate.
After discussion about bond conditions and what kind of parental supervision would be required, District Attorney Bruce Brown told the judge that Olson must not be allowed to walk freely in the community and should be in the presence of a parent at all times.
Jadon Jellis, the alleged 18-year-old victim in the case, arrived in the courtroom as the hearing ended.
Olson is scheduled to return to district court at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 6, for a preliminary hearing and a reverse transfer hearing.
If granted, the reverse transfer motion would send the case back to juvenile court, where the potential penalties facing Olson would be much less severe.
Summit Daily News reporter Joe Moylan contributed to this report.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- SWAT team called to armed standoff in Silverthorne
- High Country Crime: Naked sex offender arrested on Aspen street
- Stalking victim says court case barely scratched the surface of 6-year battle with abuse
- Breckenridge eatery to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust case
- Summit County police blotter: Woman unfazed by bee swarm inside her car