Sen. Mark Udall in Denver Thursday for counterterrorism discussion
October 16, 2013
If you go…
Who: Counterterrorism Education Learning Lab
What: National Security Forum
When: 7 p.m. Thursday
Where: Ellie Caulkins Opera House, Denver Performing Arts Complex, 1101 13th Street in Denver
— Scheduled speakers include U.S. Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colo., and Central Intelligence Agency director Leon Panetta
— The event is sold out, but will be broadcasted live online at http://www.thecell.org
The Counterterrorism Education Learning Lab will host its next national security forum Thursday in Denver.
The forum, titled "U.S. Leadership in Shaping Global Security," will feature discussions led by former Secretary of Defense and current director of the Central Intelligence Agency Leon Panetta, as well as U.S. Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colo. Udall serves on the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee and the Select Committee on Intelligence.
Mike Saccone, communications director for Sen. Udall, said he expects Thursday's event to be lengthy and topics to include everything from new leadership in Iran and Israeli-Palestinian peace talks to cyber security and National Security Agency wiretaps.
The dialogue, moderated by Andy Alexander, formerly of The Washington Post and Cox News, also will touch on the impacts of the government shutdown and ongoing budget debates on the nation's security policy, according to a Counterterrorism Education Learning Lab news release.
"Our nation faces a series of challenges at home and abroad, from the looming federal government default to pervasive domestic surveillance to upheavals in the Middle East," Udall said in the release. "This forum will give Coloradans and the public a front row seat to these and other timely discussions."
More than 3,000 people are expected to attend the sold-out event, which takes place at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House, 1101 13th St. in Denver. The event will be broadcasted live online and may be viewed by visiting http://www.thecell.org.
The Counterterrorism Education Learning Lab is a Denver-based nonprofit, nonpartisan institution dedicated to preventing terrorism through education, empowerment and engagement, the release stated.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Man flees Summit County police officers in 100-mph motorcycle chase
- Summit County police blotter: Trouble with “Mexican Mafia” prompts jewelry theft
- Breckenridge drug bust reveals cocaine being sold out of bars, restaurants
- Colorado judge: Breath test evidence in DUI cases “something other than the truth”
- A day in the life of a Lake Dillon patroller
- Amped up: Dillon begins work on $8.4M upgrade to town’s premiere performance venue
- Wolverine returning to Colorado? Federal bureaucracy stands in the way
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- Breckenridge unveils new Alpine Camp at Epic Discovery fun park