Wildfire in northern Summit County contained
September 30, 2013
The Spruce Creek fire, a one-acre brush fire that ignited yesterday in Summit County north of Heeney, is contained.
Steve Lipsher, public information officer for Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue, said two crews of local firefighters returned to Silverthorne at about 6:30 p.m. Monday. At that time command was turned over to the U.S. Forest Service, Lipsher said. Federal firefighters were scheduled to return to the scene Tuesday to conduct mop up operations.
The Spruce Creek Fire ignited at about 1:15 p.m. Monday northwest of Green Mountain Reservoir off Dice Road near the Summit County and Grand County border.
Originally reported at .2 acres, the fire grew to about an acre by 4 p.m. Monday.
The fire was reportedly burning grasses and shrubs in an Aspen grove on U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
Thirteen firefighters from three different agencies responded to the blaze, Lipsher said, including two crews each from Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue, the Kremmling Fire Department and the U.S. Forest Service.
A lightning strike was determined to be the cause of the fire, said Lawrence Lujan, public information officer for the U.S. Forest Service's Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center, on Tuesday. No injuries or structure losses were reported.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Summit County police blotter: Woman unfazed by bee swarm inside her car
- Breckenridge man sentenced to five years for role in two fentanyl overdose deaths
- Breckenridge eatery to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust case
- Summit County police blotter: Man reports missing half-ounce
- Stalking victim says court case barely scratched the surface of 6-year battle with abuse
- Faces of Hope, Part 1: Frisco mother still coming to terms with her son’s 2006 suicide
- Summit High School honors seven ’17 senior scholars
- Silverthorne developer seeks community feedback on project that could transform town
- Historic Frisco cabin to be disassembled after sagging under years of snow
- Peak School in Frisco awards diplomas to first graduating class