Woman dies in head-on collision on I-70
June 16, 2016
A Denver woman died Wednesday evening following a head-on collision on Interstate 70. Brianna Martz, 29, was sitting in the passenger seat of her friend's Mercedes C350, traveling westbound near mile marker 193, just west of Copper Mountain. Around 11:15 p.m., a black Audi A4 traveling the wrong direction struck the Mercedes head-on, a Colorado State Patrol public information officer reported.
The two vehicles collided head-on, rotated, and the Mercedes went off the road while the Audi was blocking the leftmost lane. Martz died after the crash, and the driver of the Mercedes was transported to St. Anthony's Summit Medical Center with serious injuries. The driver of the Audi, 23-year-old Sebastian Rivera of Golden, was also transported with serious injuries.
State Patrol noted alcohol is suspected in the crash. The Summit County Coroner's Office reported the manner of death is accidental and the cause of death is pending autopsy.
Martz, originally from West Bend, Wisconsin, was a pediatric emergency nurse at Sky Ridge Medical Center in Lone Tree. She had studied nursing at the University of Wisconsin.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- String of mailbox thefts targets Summit County residents along Highway 9
- Summit County police blotter: Gaper Day celebrant gets mean with deputy at A-Basin
- Stalking victim says court case barely scratched the surface of 6-year battle with abuse
- Silverthorne knife attacker with criminal past sentenced to 3 years in prison
- Man sentenced for 2013 Leadville assault that left victim with brain damage
- How expensive is housing in Summit County? Too expensive to hire a new housing director
- Summit County high school senior Grant Morgan has aced 17 AP exams so far
- UPDATED: I-70 re-opened after multiple crashes cause major delays
- Summit High ’14 grad Joel Gomez looks to find the solution to success
- Breckenridge receives $350,0000 grant from Great Outdoors Colorado for new park