Flint’s lawyer must stay on; withdrawal request denied
November 10, 2009
Editor’s Note: Child pornography charges were eventually dismissed.
BRECKENRIDGE – District Court Judge Terry Ruckriegle Monday denied a request by attorney Timothy Bussey to withdraw his representation of former High Country Health Care CEO Dennis Flint.
Flint is facing misdemeanor charges involving allegations of child abuse and third-degree assault involving Flint’s daughter. He’s also facing felony charges related to child pornography.
Ruckriegle also set a Nov. 30 preliminary hearing in Flint’s case, a hearing previously denied by the court. Ruckriegle said he might reconsider Bussey’s request to withdraw after that hearing.
Asked to explain his request to withdraw, Bussey said it’s a financial matter.
“Financially, he (Flint) is unable to support his defense,” Bussey said. Ruckriegle said withdrawing from the case part way through the proceedings is not viewed favorably by the courts, but that he wants to be reasonable in considering the request.
“I am extremely reluctant to allow you to withdraw at this juncture,” Ruckriegle said.
Referring to Flint’s previously stated intention of using a public defender for his case, Ruckriegle said there are certain standards that have to be met to qualify. He asked whether Flint was still looking at that option.
Flint, who is currently unemployed, replied that he’d know within the next three days and indicated he is trying to find an attorney who will work on his case pro bono.
Charges against Flint include two felonies and a misdemeanor regarding material found on two computer hard drives in 2006. The felony charges against Flint include a possible penalty of two to six years in prison and a fine of $2,000 to $5,000. The misdemeanor charge includes potential penalties of six to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine.