Lerner: Abusive use of stats | SummitDaily.com

Back to: News

Lerner: Abusive use of stats

Re: “The real unemployment rate,” by Tom Clancy, letters, Nov. 5

Dear tom clancy, wow, that was the most abusive use of statistics i’ve ever read. 7.9 percent minus 4 percent unemployment? You have assumed that the number of 7.9% includes that 4%. However, your facts are wrong. that 7.9 percent number does not include that 4 percent who have stopped looking for work or are underemployed. So you must actually add the 4 percent back into the 7.9 percent for an actual total of 11.9 percent. The man in the white house has succeeded in his plan to have more people on the dole or completely dependent upon government thereby increasing the size of government. Government dependence is slavery. Period. Nice try.