Beer and rain in full force at Breckenridge Oktoberfest
September 15, 2013
Main Street in Breckenridge was packed with smiling people, beer steins in hand, during Saturday's Oktoberfest activities.
Smells of bratwurst and onions wafted from barbecue grills as people strolled down the street chatting and laughing with each other. Other festivalgoers decked out in lederhosen linked arms and skipped around as the sounds of polka music filled the air.
Breckenridge resident "Naked" Pete Baldwin was lured out of his downtown apartment Saturday morning to join in the party.
"The ground was shaking with polka music and I thought I'd come down and check it out," he said. "Everybody's happy and partying and dressed to the nines."
Baldwin made sure to buy an official beer stein. His favorite activities during Oktoberfest are drinking beer and eating brats.
"If I lived in Germany I'd weigh 400 pounds," he said.
An afternoon downpour had people ducking under trees and awnings and into nearby restaurants and bars, but the mood wasn't spoiled.
Denver resident Carolyn Floyd and her friends got plastic ponchos to wear over their dresses and kept the party going. The women traveled to Breck from the Front Range to celebrate a bachelorette party.
Floyd described her to-do list while at Oktoberfest as, "drink and drink more."
Today is the final day of Breckenridge Oktoberfest; things get started at 10 a.m. and continue till 5 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Colorado couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep
- Dillon Ranger District reopens Breckenridge-area trails after Peak 2 Fire
- Top 5 most-read stories on SummitDaily.com, week of July 16
- Sheriff warns of increased parking enforcement on Heeney Road
- At 117 years old, Frisco’s schoolhouse bell has been through a lot, including a kidnapping
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)