Breckenridge condo project collapses in debt
July 5, 2013
An Austrian businessman has been ordered to pay $62 million to a Colorado developer, professional golfer Jesper Parnevik and another investor in a Breckenridge condominium deal that collapsed in debt.
But Erwin Lasshofer, a resident of Salzburg, apparently has no intention of paying, despite mounting fines of $10,000 a day, a warrant for his arrest for contempt of court and the wrath of an increasingly frustrated federal judge.
"Suffice it to say that this was a first in this court's experience," U.S. District Court Judge R. Brooke Jackson of Denver wrote in an order in April.
Jackson also ordered Lasshofer to pay $10,000 a day until he ponies up $2.18 million to Parnevik, developer John Niemi and Robert Naegele, a third partner. That tab reached $820,000 on Sunday, but Lasshofer has ignored every order issued by Jackson. Kevin Evans, Lasshofer's lawyer, said Lasshofer has no U.S. assets that could be seized.
It is unlikely that the arrest warrant will lead to Lasshofer's extradition, said former Denver District Court Judge Christina Habas, a lawyer with Keating Wagner Polidori Free. "Even though it is a criminal process, it is in a civil case. Now, if he was under indictment …"
Evans said the plaintiffs — Niemi, Parnevik and Naegele — have no grounds for their lawsuit, and have misled the judge. Lasshofer's lawyers also say Jackson lacks jurisdiction in the case, and they are appealing the judgment.
Read more at http://bit.ly/12dfKOJ.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Colorado couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep
- Dillon Ranger District reopens Breckenridge-area trails after Peak 2 Fire
- Top 5 most-read stories on SummitDaily.com, week of July 16
- Sheriff warns of increased parking enforcement on Heeney Road
- Photos: Yogis breathe in crisp mountain air at Arapahoe Basin Ski Area
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)