Frisco BBQ accepting letters for annual Father’s Day contest
May 6, 2014
Officials with the Colorado BBQ Challenge this week announced they are accepting nominations for the annual Father's Day contest.
The challenge, now in its 21st year, takes place in Frisco June 12 to 14, leading up to Father's Day on Sunday, June 15. For the last several years officials have selected one deserving father to receive a BBQ weekend on the house, and dad doesn't have to be a master of the flame to receive the VIP treatment.
Children young and old can enter the contest by submitting a short essay explaining why their dad deserves a barbecue-filled weekend in Frisco. Entries can be submitted by clicking the "#1Dad" icon on the Colorado BBQ Challenge Facebook page or by visiting http://www.friscobbq.com.
The winner will receive lodging for two nights, June 13 and 14, in a two-bedroom condo courtesy of Mountain Managers; $100 worth of Hogbacks, the official currency of the Colorado BBQ Challenge; and two tickets to Friday's Rub It, Smoke It, Sip It, Whiskey Tour, courtesy of the Breckenridge Distillery.
The deadline to submit essays is midnight Monday, May 26.
"We had to find a box of tissues last year when we read all of the essays," said Cristi Eckert, manager of the Frisco/Copper Information Center, in a news release. "It was hard to make a decision because there are so many dads out there who are everyday superheroes to their families.
Recommended Stories For You
"It was incredibly inspiring to read stories of dads who really step up and quietly make a difference in their families' lives day in and out."
In addition to the barbecue, the 2014 Colorado BBQ Challenge will feature a kickoff concert on Thursday, June 12, as well as the third-annual Bacon Burner, a 6K run scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Saturday, June 14. Participants will receive a signature Bacon Burner T-shirt and beer coupons to use at the challenge.
Admission to the challenge is free. Hogbacks can be purchased to pay for food and drinks and also will be accepted at participating retail stores and restaurants along Main Street.
For more information about the Colorado BBQ Challenge, visit http://www.friscobbq.com or call (800) 424-1554.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Breckenridge paid parking to be managed by private company
- Disposable plastic bags vanishing in Avon; point-of-sale ban goes into effect May 1
- Morrie Shepard, Vail’s first ski school director, has taken his final lift ride
- Arapahoe Basin once again country’s first ski area to open, marking start of 2017-2018 season
- Breckenridge’s newest fire station opens near Peak 7 in response to continued growth
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Frisco workforce-housing project delayed amid rising construction costs
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral