Interstate 70 rollover near Copper Mountain Resort kills one, injures four
Ryan Summerlin May 26, 2014
SUMMIT COUNTY — A 26-year-old Buena Vista woman died at the scene of a one-car accident on eastbound Interstate 70 near Copper Mountain Resort today.
According to the Summit County Coroner’s Office, the woman’s name is Miranda Schumann.
Debris littered the right-hand side of the interstate near mile marker 198 after a 2000 Ford SUV pulling a camper trailer lost control and rolled off the road this morning. Schumann was declared dead at the scene. Three children, ages 9, 13 and 14, and one adult male sustained serious injuries and were transported to area hospitals. The driver was not hurt.
Investigators don’t believe drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash. However, it is possible the driver fell asleep at the wheel, said Trooper Josh Lewis, a spokesman for Colorado State Patrol.
Lewis said the vehicle and trailer both had Colorado plates. The accident was reported to public safety officials just before noon.
— Ben Trollinger
Trending In: Local
- Suicide rate in Summit County reaching record levels
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Election 2016: Health care professionals raise concerns about Amendment 69; supporters say it will cure state’s health care ills
- Rocky Mountain Underground opens 1st combo ski shop, bar in Breckenridge