Interstate 70 rollover near Copper Mountain Resort kills one, injures four
May 26, 2014
SUMMIT COUNTY — A 26-year-old Buena Vista woman died at the scene of a one-car accident on eastbound Interstate 70 near Copper Mountain Resort today.
According to the Summit County Coroner's Office, the woman's name is Miranda Schumann.
Debris littered the right-hand side of the interstate near mile marker 198 after a 2000 Ford SUV pulling a camper trailer lost control and rolled off the road this morning. Schumann was declared dead at the scene. Three children, ages 9, 13 and 14, and one adult male sustained serious injuries and were transported to area hospitals. The driver was not hurt.
Investigators don't believe drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash. However, it is possible the driver fell asleep at the wheel, said Trooper Josh Lewis, a spokesman for Colorado State Patrol.
Lewis said the vehicle and trailer both had Colorado plates. The accident was reported to public safety officials just before noon.
— Ben Trollinger
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Breckenridge eatery to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust case
- Friends of the Lower Blue River welcomes new director
- Summit County slammed by spring storm, I-70 an ‘utter mess’
- PHOTOS: Summit County, Colorado mountains pummeled with spring snow