Mountain Mentors’ February mentor of the month is Marisa Soltis
February 13, 2014
Mountain Mentors is a local organization that matches adult mentors with children ages 6 to 16. Mountain Mentors' mission is "to positively influence the youth of Summit County to lead healthy lifestyles, through a consistent one-on-one relationship with an adult."
Mentor of the Month: Marisa Soltis
Background information about yourself.
I am originally from Connecticut but moved to Summit County 14 years ago. I am an outdoor enthusiast, and currently I am really enjoying all of the snow we have been getting. I am working on a master's degree to be a clinical mental health counselor. I have two jobs, one as a waitress and one as dog hiker.
What led you to become a mentor?
Honestly, I needed to find volunteer work to fit my requirements to get into a master's program. But, I chose Mountain Mentors because it is such a great organization and because I love kids. My requirement hours have long been fulfilled, but I enjoy being a mentor so much that I will continue for as long as possible.
Recommended Stories For You
What do you enjoy most about being a mentor?
I think the thing that I enjoy most about being a mentor is the connection that I have made with Judith. She and I get along great and have a lot of fun together. We have become very good friends through this program; the coordinators do an excellent job with pairing the children and the adults.
How does mentoring fit into your life?
Mentoring fits into my life very easily because it is something that I want to do and enjoy. I really do look forward to the time that I spend with Judith.
What is your favorite activity you have done as a mentor?
I know Judith will tell you her favorite time was going to Elitch Gardens. I have a hard time pinpointing one time that I liked the best. I really like any activity where we can talk and I get to hear all of her stories.
Do you have advise for someone who is considering becoming a mentor?
My advice to someone considering becoming a mentor is to do it. It will enrich your life more than you can image, and I think your mentee will enjoy it too.
Judith's quote about Marisa: "Marisa is the best Mentor ever! I can tell her anything! I LOVE YOU, MARISA! You are the best Mentor anyone can have. XOXO!"
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Morrie Shepard, Vail’s first ski school director, has taken his final lift ride
- Breckenridge paid parking to be managed by private company
- Colorado health insurance regulators holding public meeting on 2018 premium rates
- Disposable plastic bags vanishing in Avon; point-of-sale ban goes into effect May 1
- Arapahoe Basin once again country’s first ski area to open, marking start of 2017-2018 season
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Frisco workforce-housing project delayed amid rising construction costs
- US beer critic names Frisco’s Outer Range a top new brewery