On Memorial Day, Summit County pays tribute to sacrificial soldiers
May 28, 2013
Both Dillon and Breckenridge held Memorial Day ceremonies at their historic cemeteries on Monday.
The commemoration at Dillon Cemetery featured local speakers, including state Rep. Millie Hamner, who represents Summit County in House District 61. Dillon Mayor Ron Holland and Elks Lodge exalted ruler Kevin Mastin also spoke at the event.
The Dillon commemoration also included the retiring of flags by the local Boy Scout Troop 188.
The Valley Brook Cemetery in Breckenridge stretches through a pine forest and contains more than 60 veterans' graves.
The event at Valley Brook included a keynote speech from Col. Loren Johnson, the commander of the 140th Mission Support Group, Colorado Air National Guard, as well as an interdenominational service and a wreath laying.
— Daily News staff report
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Silverthorne construction fatality may have been caused by equipment blind spot, inspectors say
- Frisco development code changes to be considered at council meeting
- All Colorado counties will have Obamacare insurance plans in 2018
- Top 5 most-read stories on SummitDaily.com, week of June 18
- Gov. John Hickenlooper takes a spin in visit to possible link in Alma-to-Aspen trail loop
- Goar: Vail Resorts leading the charge to address housing crisis (column)
- Blue River group recasts hopes of golden fishing designation
- Colorado’s multiplying moose moving eastward, running into people
- Summit County police blotter: Trouble with “Mexican Mafia” prompts jewelry theft
- High Country Crime: ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor