On Memorial Day, Summit County pays tribute to sacrificial soldiers
May 28, 2013
Both Dillon and Breckenridge held Memorial Day ceremonies at their historic cemeteries on Monday.
The commemoration at Dillon Cemetery featured local speakers, including state Rep. Millie Hamner, who represents Summit County in House District 61. Dillon Mayor Ron Holland and Elks Lodge exalted ruler Kevin Mastin also spoke at the event.
The Dillon commemoration also included the retiring of flags by the local Boy Scout Troop 188.
The Valley Brook Cemetery in Breckenridge stretches through a pine forest and contains more than 60 veterans' graves.
The event at Valley Brook included a keynote speech from Col. Loren Johnson, the commander of the 140th Mission Support Group, Colorado Air National Guard, as well as an interdenominational service and a wreath laying.
— Daily News staff report
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Skier dies at Loveland Ski Area Friday
- High Country Crime: Notorious Aspen con man gets six years
- 660 tons of herring: The Anderson family fishing story, from Summit County to Chignik, Alaska
- A hidden horror: Heroin deaths rise across state
- Owner of Silverthorne’s Everist Materials hopes recent merger will give staff opportunity to grow