Police involved in shooting on Colo. interstate
February 1, 2014
GEORGETOWN — A shooting involving police and a motorist backed up heavy weekend ski traffic on westbound Interstate 70 Friday evening.
The Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office issued a statement saying one of its deputies shot a male motorist who was fleeing from police.
The name and condition of the motorist was not immediately released.
The incident closed westbound I-70 for about six hours.
The sheriff's statement said police tried to stop the motorist for a possible drunken-driving violation Friday afternoon but he led police on a low-speed chase through heavy traffic.
When traffic on the interstate came to a halt, authorities say the motorist repeatedly rammed the car in front of him. A deputy then shot the motorist.
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is investigating.
No other details were released.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- BREAKING: Silverthorne police request residents take shelter
- SWAT team called to armed standoff in Silverthorne
- Summit High School honors seven ’17 senior scholars
- Silverthorne developer seeks community feedback on project that could transform town
- Peak School in Frisco awards diplomas to first graduating class