Summit County housing project moves ahead as House approves Forest Service land transfer
July 26, 2013
A long-awaited land transfer in Summit County is moving forward.
The House Natural Resources Committee approved the Lake Hill Administrative Site Affordable Housing Act unanimously on Wednesday.
This bill seeks to convey 40 acres of the Lake Hill property in the White River National Forest to Summit County.
The land, currently owned by the U.S. Forest Service, sits in the middle of Interstate 70 and Dillon Dam Road between the towns of Dillon and Frisco.
If the transfer is approved, Summit County plans to use the site for affordable — or workforce — housing, officials said. Proceeds from the sale would go to Region 2 of the U.S. Forest Service for capital improvement and maintenance of Forest Service facilities.
The bill was introduced by U.S. Rep. Jared Polis in June. Sens. Mark Udall and Michael Bennet introduced companion legislation in the Senate last week.
"I am thrilled that this common-sense bill passed the House Natural Resources Committee unanimously," Polis said in a written statement. "I am hopeful that the full House of Representatives will be able to vote on the Lake Hill Administrative Site Affordable Housing Act before we break for August recess."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Sheriff warns of increased parking enforcement on Heeney Road
- Couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep
- Photos: Yogis breathe in crisp mountain air at Arapahoe Basin Ski Area
- Dillon Ranger District reopens Breckenridge-area trails after Peak 2 Fire
- With Breckenridge wildfire settled, the ‘Navy SEALs’ of wildfires head home
- Amped up: Dillon begins work on $8.4M upgrade to town’s premiere performance venue
- Wolverine returning to Colorado? Federal bureaucracy stands in the way
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- Breckenridge unveils new Alpine Camp at Epic Discovery fun park