Vail to host Kayak Race Series
November 22, 2013
VAIL — Alpine Quest Sports and the town of Vail have announced a new event, the Vail Kayak Race Series. The event takes place every Tuesday from May 14-June 18 from 5-7 p.m. on Gore Creek.
The event has gathered interest so quickly that stand up board and raft divisions have been added. The series has three different races for competitors and spectators to enjoy. The down river races will have racers paddling fast from the Covered Bridge to the International Bridge. Racers will need to navigate turning around two buoys before crossing the finish line. The Ring Your Bell Race has competitors racing from the Covered Bridge to International Bridge, but they cannot complete the race unless all bells on buoys are rung. The Best Trick event will showcase the Vail Whitewater Park at its best with big tricks and surfing from kayaks, SUPs and rafts. The judges will decide but the spectators get to enjoy the action from the side.
Competitors may sign up at the grass area in front of Mountain Standard beginning at 5. There is a $5 entry fee. The top finisher from each category will be awarded a cash prize at awards party at Mountain Standard.
More information may be found at http://www.alpinequestsports.com or by calling Alpine Quest Sports at 970-926-3867.
- May 21: Ring Your Bell Course.
- May 28 and June 4: Best Trick.
- June 11: Down River Race.
- June 18: Ring Your Bell Course.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Colorado River levels mostly unaffected by lastest snowstorm
- Man found dead in Yampa River following extensive search
- Breckenridge eatery to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust case
- Friends of the Lower Blue River welcomes new director