Hot Sulphur voters support marijuana bans
November 10, 2014
On Tuesday residents of Hot Sulphur Springs affirmed their support for the existing ban on marijuana-related facilities in the town.
Folks in Hot Sulphur Springs were presented with six ballot measures on the ballot exclusively in their community.
Advisory Questions 2C, 2D, 2E and 2F asked residents if they supported the existing town bans on retail marijuana stores, marijuana cultivation facilities (growhouses/greenhouses), marijuana product manufacturing facilities and marijuana testing facilities.
The four advisory questions were intended to provide town trustees with constituent opinions regarding the bans and to inform any future decisions the trustees might make regarding the ban on marijuana facilities.
Additionally, Ballot Issue 2A and 2B asked residents if they approved of the town passing a sales tax and an excise tax on retail marijuana products and cultivation facilities in the event the Board of Trustees allowed such facilities within Hot Sulphur Springs.
Ballot Issue 2A and 2B and the taxes proposed in them were applicable if, and only if, marijuana facilities were to be approved by the Trustees at a later date.
Recommended Stories For You
While the Board of Trustees retains the ability to allow marijuana facilities in their community, if the results of the election are any indication, they will not be approving such facilities anytime soon.
Residents approved of the existing ban on retail marijuana facilities with 195 yes votes and 139 no votes. Voters also supported the town ban on marijuana cultivation facilities with 209 yes votes and 123 no votes. Likewise the Hot Sulphur Springs' bans on marijuana product manufacturing facilities and marijuana testing facilities were supported by voters with Question 2E receiving 201 yes votes to 133 no votes and Question 2F taking 212 yes votes to 121 no votes.
Ballot Issues 2A and 2B were also voted down, though by much closer margins with Issue 2A receiving 154 yes votes to 175 no votes and 2B receiving 152 yes votes to 175 no votes.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Marijuana
- Weed Index: Wholesale pot prices at all-time low in Colorado
- Backcountry Cannabis Co. sells Breckenridge store to Denver-based dispensary
- Dooby Do’s and Don’ts: What you need to know about marijuana in Colorado
- The Cannabist: How do marijuana vape pens work?
- Colorado cannabis: Exploring the mad science of marijuana
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says