Silverthorne Town Council votes to extend hours for retail marijuana shops
Ryan Summerlin July 1, 2016
People looking to purchase marijuana in Silverthorne after sundown are now in luck.
On Wednesday night, the Silverthorne Town Council unanimously approved an ordinance extending the hours of operation at retail marijuana shops. Shops can now operate from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Prior town code required them to lock up by 7 p.m.
“I’d like to put our marijuana shop on equal footing with everyone else,” said Mayor Pro Tem Ann-Marie Sandquist. “And (the shop) has been very good working with the town council and with the police department.”
Mayor Bruce Butler agreed.
“The fact they’ve been such a good actor makes it easier to do this,” he said.
State law allows retail marijuana shops to be open as late as midnight. But local governments can establish their own regulations, such as hours of operation, as long as they fall within the state law.
Town officials said the chief motivation behind the time change was to give the town’s only marijuana shop, High Country Healing, a chance to remain open as late as surrounding businesses.
“There is a liquor store right next to us that can be open until at least 10 p.m.,” said Colby Hockersmith, general manager at High Country Healing. “It didn’t make sense for us to have to close so early while several other businesses in the same center can remain open for hours longer. This gives us an opportunity to serve more customers.”
When the council originally approved the sale of retail marijuana it adopted the same hours that had applied to medical dispensaries, which accounted for the 7 p.m. closing time.
The change also puts Silverthorne’s retail marijuana regulations more in line with other towns in the county. Breckenridge, for example, allows retail marijuana stores to operate from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Sunday.
“We’ve had the same hours in place since Jan. 1,” said Kim Dykstra-DiLallo, Breckenridge’s communication director. “They can be open at any time in that window. It’s up to each business to decide.”
Now Silverthorne residents and visitors will have a chance to frequent their local marijuana shop under the stars as High Country Healing has changed its hours from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Trending In: Marijuana
- Backcountry Cannabis Co. sells Breckenridge store to Denver-based dispensary
- A look at the evolution of marijuana purity testing
- Breckenridge town council votes to extend marijuana moratorium indefinitely
- Colorado marijuana report shows more revenue, fewer arrests since legalization
- Breckenridge looks to form new liquor and marijuana licensing authority
- Suicide rate in Summit County reaching record levels
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Election 2016: Health care professionals raise concerns about Amendment 69; supporters say it will cure state’s health care ills
- Rocky Mountain Underground opens 1st combo ski shop, bar in Breckenridge