Silverthorne Town Council votes to extend hours for retail marijuana shops
July 1, 2016
People looking to purchase marijuana in Silverthorne after sundown are now in luck.
On Wednesday night, the Silverthorne Town Council unanimously approved an ordinance extending the hours of operation at retail marijuana shops. Shops can now operate from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Prior town code required them to lock up by 7 p.m.
"I'd like to put our marijuana shop on equal footing with everyone else," said Mayor Pro Tem Ann-Marie Sandquist. "And (the shop) has been very good working with the town council and with the police department."
Mayor Bruce Butler agreed.
"The fact they've been such a good actor makes it easier to do this," he said.
State law allows retail marijuana shops to be open as late as midnight. But local governments can establish their own regulations, such as hours of operation, as long as they fall within the state law.
Town officials said the chief motivation behind the time change was to give the town's only marijuana shop, High Country Healing, a chance to remain open as late as surrounding businesses.
"There is a liquor store right next to us that can be open until at least 10 p.m.," said Colby Hockersmith, general manager at High Country Healing. "It didn't make sense for us to have to close so early while several other businesses in the same center can remain open for hours longer. This gives us an opportunity to serve more customers."
When the council originally approved the sale of retail marijuana it adopted the same hours that had applied to medical dispensaries, which accounted for the 7 p.m. closing time.
The change also puts Silverthorne's retail marijuana regulations more in line with other towns in the county. Breckenridge, for example, allows retail marijuana stores to operate from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Sunday.
"We've had the same hours in place since Jan. 1," said Kim Dykstra-DiLallo, Breckenridge's communication director. "They can be open at any time in that window. It's up to each business to decide."
Now Silverthorne residents and visitors will have a chance to frequent their local marijuana shop under the stars as High Country Healing has changed its hours from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Marijuana
- Marijuana tied to more Colorado collisions but not fatalities, pair of studies says
- Backcountry Cannabis Co. sells Breckenridge store to Denver-based dispensary
- Food, wine and marijuana: Changing the culinary, cannabis culture
- Top 5 cannabis strains for summertime
- Colorado cannabis: Exploring the mad science of marijuana
- Summit County police blotter: Trouble with “Mexican Mafia” prompts jewelry theft
- Colorado’s multiplying moose moving eastward, running into people
- Summit County board approves West Hills workforce-housing project in Keystone
- Breckenridge ranked second-best small town to visit by U.S. News and World Report
- Gothard: It’s about safeguarding lives, not power plays (column)