Skier in Durango found after two-day search
March 2, 2014
A 42-year-old man who skied out of bounds Friday at Durango Mountain Resort at Purgatory was found Saturday in a remote part of Hermosa Creek drainage.
Members of the La Plata County Search and Rescue discovered Alex Magennis, a former Durango resident who lives in Cincinnati, during a snowstorm. Magennis had texted his wife Friday afternoon to say he skied into an out-of-bounds area near Lift 8 and planned to continue skiing east to an area known as Needles.
Officials said he was cold and exhausted when found but didn't report any injuries.
They said it was the second time in the past decade that Magennis had skied out of bounds in the same vicinity.
The search for Magennis this weekend involved more than two dozen people from six organizations and 350 man hours, said Butch Knowlton, director of the Colorado Office of Emergency Management.
Read more at The Denver Post website.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Regional
- Colorado man accused of castrating transgender woman charged
- 2 GOP lawmakers ask Trump to leave Colorado monument intact
- A look at accidental child shooting cases in Colorado
- Just the Facts: Rocky Mountains of rubbish (column)
- Kids who age out of Colorado foster care more likely to have criminal records than diplomas
- Vail Resorts, Summit County strike deal on Keystone workforce housing
- Summit County police blotter: Woman unfazed by bee swarm inside her car
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area to extend season with bonus weekend
- I-70 road update: Eastbound now open at Vail Pass after crash
- Faces of Hope, Part 1: Frisco mother still coming to terms with her son’s 2006 suicide