Skier in Durango found after two-day search
March 2, 2014
A 42-year-old man who skied out of bounds Friday at Durango Mountain Resort at Purgatory was found Saturday in a remote part of Hermosa Creek drainage.
Members of the La Plata County Search and Rescue discovered Alex Magennis, a former Durango resident who lives in Cincinnati, during a snowstorm. Magennis had texted his wife Friday afternoon to say he skied into an out-of-bounds area near Lift 8 and planned to continue skiing east to an area known as Needles.
Officials said he was cold and exhausted when found but didn't report any injuries.
They said it was the second time in the past decade that Magennis had skied out of bounds in the same vicinity.
The search for Magennis this weekend involved more than two dozen people from six organizations and 350 man hours, said Butch Knowlton, director of the Colorado Office of Emergency Management.
Read more at The Denver Post website.
Trending In: Regional
- Denver man found dead at Breckenridge Ski Resort Friday, Jan. 13
- Crime spree earns man 42-year prison sentence
- Officials remove aircraft wreckage from Colorado wilderness
- Colorado’s most expensive toll lane, the I-70 Mountain Express Lane, to open
- Mountain Town News: Billionaire gets key OK for Wolf Creek
- Six-story hotel proposal hopes to “put Dillon on the map”
- Male skier, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Trump administration puts recreational marijuana in crosshairs