Skier in Durango found after two-day search
March 2, 2014
A 42-year-old man who skied out of bounds Friday at Durango Mountain Resort at Purgatory was found Saturday in a remote part of Hermosa Creek drainage.
Members of the La Plata County Search and Rescue discovered Alex Magennis, a former Durango resident who lives in Cincinnati, during a snowstorm. Magennis had texted his wife Friday afternoon to say he skied into an out-of-bounds area near Lift 8 and planned to continue skiing east to an area known as Needles.
Officials said he was cold and exhausted when found but didn't report any injuries.
They said it was the second time in the past decade that Magennis had skied out of bounds in the same vicinity.
The search for Magennis this weekend involved more than two dozen people from six organizations and 350 man hours, said Butch Knowlton, director of the Colorado Office of Emergency Management.
Read more at The Denver Post website.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Regional
- Just the Facts: Rocky Mountains of rubbish (column)
- Kids who age out of Colorado foster care more likely to have criminal records than diplomas
- CDOT exploring project to reduce congestion on westbound I-70 corridor
- Colorado’s Constitutional conundrum: Gallagher vs. TABOR amendments, and what it means for us
- Mountain Town News: Will wolves ever yip & growl in Colorado?
- Vail Resorts, Summit County strike deal on Keystone workforce housing
- Man found dead in Yampa River following extensive search
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Colorado River levels mostly unaffected by lastest snowstorm
- I-70 road update: Eastbound now open at Vail Pass after crash