Skier in Durango found after two-day search
March 2, 2014
A 42-year-old man who skied out of bounds Friday at Durango Mountain Resort at Purgatory was found Saturday in a remote part of Hermosa Creek drainage.
Members of the La Plata County Search and Rescue discovered Alex Magennis, a former Durango resident who lives in Cincinnati, during a snowstorm. Magennis had texted his wife Friday afternoon to say he skied into an out-of-bounds area near Lift 8 and planned to continue skiing east to an area known as Needles.
Officials said he was cold and exhausted when found but didn't report any injuries.
They said it was the second time in the past decade that Magennis had skied out of bounds in the same vicinity.
The search for Magennis this weekend involved more than two dozen people from six organizations and 350 man hours, said Butch Knowlton, director of the Colorado Office of Emergency Management.
Read more at The Denver Post website.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Regional
- Vail Resorts promises to eliminate environmental impact of operations by 2030
- Mountain Town News: Smoke in the air and fire in the news in many towns
- Colorado’s most expensive toll lane, the I-70 Mountain Express Lane, to open
- Meet the woman behind Colorado’s highest trails
- The curious case of Capt. Craig Button. 20 years ago, Button crashed his A-10 into Gold Dust Peak. Two decades later, no one knows why
- After years of hiding, Summit County sheriff’s deputy proudly comes out as transgender
- The people of Summit County have spoken: They want a Chick-fil-A
- Vail Resorts unhappy as Breckenridge eyes $8.9 million parking garage for Tiger Dredge
- Eagle bar will close earlier, beef up security in wake of Monday attack on bartender
- Summit County police blotter: Tequila-fueled Tinder date ends in robbery