Skier in Durango found after two-day search
March 2, 2014
A 42-year-old man who skied out of bounds Friday at Durango Mountain Resort at Purgatory was found Saturday in a remote part of Hermosa Creek drainage.
Members of the La Plata County Search and Rescue discovered Alex Magennis, a former Durango resident who lives in Cincinnati, during a snowstorm. Magennis had texted his wife Friday afternoon to say he skied into an out-of-bounds area near Lift 8 and planned to continue skiing east to an area known as Needles.
Officials said he was cold and exhausted when found but didn’t report any injuries.
They said it was the second time in the past decade that Magennis had skied out of bounds in the same vicinity.
The search for Magennis this weekend involved more than two dozen people from six organizations and 350 man hours, said Butch Knowlton, director of the Colorado Office of Emergency Management.
Read more at The Denver Post website.
Trending In: Regional
- Mountain Town News: Booming summers too much of a good thing? (Column)
- Colorado’s most expensive toll lane, the I-70 Mountain Express Lane, to open
- Denver just became a ski-in, ski-out town
- Mountain Town News: Billionaire gets key OK for Wolf Creek
- Colorado news roundup: Crews trying to stamp out southern Colorado wildfire