2014 Breck Crest has runners fighting elements
August 31, 2014
Around 250 runners braved challenging conditions Sunday for the 19th annual Breck Crest trail marathon, half-marathon and 10K.
“The weather was the story today,” race organizer Jeff Westcott said. “It was snowing up on top of the course.”
While a number of runners opted out of the 23-mile race in favor of the shorter half-marathon, others gritted through rain and snow on the mostly above-tree-line course high above Breckenridge on Wheeler Pass.
J. Marshall Thomson of Crested Butte took the top spot among men running the 23-mile, mostly singletrack course in 3 hours, 13 minutes, 29 seconds.
Rebecca Larson of Lewisville was the first female finisher crossing the line in 4:58:31. The marathon course included 4,700 feet of elevation gain with around 10 miles above tree line on rocky, technical singletrack.
Full race results can be found at http://www.mavsports.com
Trending In: Sports
- Dew Tour pros talk team rivalries before the new, improved tour Dec. 8-11
- Dew Tour cancels modified superpipe with Danny Davis, Kelly Clark for 2016
- Summit County resorts embrace the complete ski and snowboard lesson experience
- Mark McMorris, Gus Kenworthy, Jamie Anderson and more confirmed for Dew Tour Dec. 8-11
- 4 winter sports to burn calories and have a blast