2014 Powerbar Colorado Cup and Colorado High School Snowshoe State Championships race combined
February 11, 2014
Blustery, snowy weather on Saturday, Feb. 8, might have delayed the start of the 2014 Powerbar Colorado Cup and Colorado High School Snowshoe State Championships race — but it didn't dampen the spirits of the competitors.
Athletes of all ages filled the atrium at Summit High School, stretching and running warm-up drills as the wind blew and the snow fell outside. Several younger children spun around and pulled each other on sleds, while the competitors chatted and waited for the start announcement.
At about 10:45 a.m., the athletes strapped on their snowshoes and gathered at the starting line. With snowflakes gently drifting down, Summit County Sheriff John Minor shot the starting gun. In a spray of snow, the racers charged forward, taking their first steps along the snowy course.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- In 1st girls lacrosse meeting, Tigers tame Devils
- Summit soccer finds groove too late in home loss to Eagle Valley, 1-3
- The Outsider: Is Gaper Day at A-Basin on the decline?
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Summit girls lacross wins 3 in a row, plus Tigers baseball and track results
- Breckenridge businesses facing discipline over December drug bust
- Storm set to break Summit County’s dry spell with as many as 7 inches predicted Thursday
- Mysterious Aspen ski rental contract may relate to Trumps
- Summit County works to dispel rumors in the immigrant community
- Summit County daycare teachers to get free health care access