DESCRIPTION: Follow the directions for the Webster Pass ride but turn right at the junction at 3.6 miles. Continue climbing on a road that gets progressively steeper and more rocky. Beyond Cashier Mine, the road switchbacks upward so intensely that walking is a necessity. From the high point on Teller Mountain, descend toward the Deer Creek drainage. At the first junction turn left and drop briefly until merging with another road that traverses the upper edge of the valley. A right turn here creates a shorter loop by descending along Deer Creek. To continue on the described route, turn left and climb above the drainage to a 3-way junction at 6.5 miles. Turn right and follow the ridge top road toward Sts. John. (The left fork drops to the Middle Fork of the Swan.) Short, steep climbs and technical descents characterize the next few miles. Pass a spur on the left at 7.2 miles (it descends to the North Fork of the Swan). Approaching Glacier Mountain you pass a fork on the right. Continue straight (left) and ride/walk several steep pitches. The road veers right and passes the precariously placed General Teller Mine at 9.7 miles. Climb over a ridge on the main road and drop toward Sts. John Creek. A rock-filled descent brings you to treeline and past the Wild Irishman Mine. Continue winding downward into the valley on the main road. At about 12 miles, you’ll ride through the historic town of Sts. John. The last couple of miles you pass several spur roads, but the main route remains easy to follow as it descends along the creek and switchbacks down to Montezuma.
Summit County Bike Trails: Montezuma Loop map
Trending in: Sports & Outdoors
- High Gear: "Survival Hacks" is real-world advice for real-world situations
- Life on Two Wheels: Wide hips, narrow shoulders on a trans-America bike tour with Monte Lowrance
- Capes, chains and pond crossing: Scenes from 2016 Breck Bike Week (photos)
- Silverthorne Storm Gymnastics pairs young, talented locals with veteran coaches (photos and video)
- Breckenridge crepe cart owner shares the secret for the perfect pancake
- Mountain Wheels: Affordable Jaguars – including a new SUV – seek to broaden appeal
- Mountain Town News: Will wolves ever yip & growl in Colorado?
- Hike Summit: A snowy June trip on Wheeler Trail in Breckenridge
- Summit Daily's top stories of the day