Sebastian Foltz

Back to: Sports & Outdoors
September 1, 2013
Follow Sports & Outdoors

SHS soccer starts season with tough loss to state champs

It was a wet start to the season for the Summit boys soccer team. The boys fell to 3A state champ Colorado Academy 4-1 in their home opener Thursday.

The rain came early and stayed for most of the first half, as a gathered crowd of Summit faithful huddled under umbrellas. The wet weather let up briefly and the skies lightened for the start of the second half under the lights, but it came back strong, much like Colorado Academy, in the second half.

The final score didn’t do the Tigers justice as they fought hard and played a solid game.

“We played real well with them,” said assistant coach Travis Avery. Head coach Tommy Gogolen, who’s recovering from ACL surgery, missed the game.

“It’s a nice test to start the season,” Avery said after the game. “They (Colorado Academy) raised their game in the second half.”

Colorado Academy came out strong with crisp passing in the first half, keeping the ball in Summit’s end of the field for much of the opening minutes.

But Summit countered with opportunities led by junior Thomas DeBonville.

The Tigers were able to keep Colorado Academy in check, and held the game scoreless into the second half.

Colorado Academy broke the tie off of a stellar setup on a free kick by Mustang junior Tyler Kelly. The kick from near midfield set up a Mustang goal with 36:30 remaining in the game.

The Tigers fought back right away, bringing the ball into Mustang territory. Their first chance at a tying goal came at the 27-minute mark with a strong throw-in from near the corner by DeBonville.

His throw set up a potential game-tying goal, but Summit was unable to capitalize as the ball passed the goal and setup a corner kick.

Senior Sebastian Ramos was able to punch the ball into the goal to tie the game off of the corner.

The Mustangs countered quickly, breaking the 1-1 tie with 23 minutes remaining in the game.

Rain returned with a vengeance and Colorado Acadamey poured it on with a follow-up goal at the 17:47 mark.

With 17:06 left, Colorado Academy came at Summit with two forwards streaking down field on a break, leaving defenders backpedaling. The Mustang left wing crossed with a clean pass toward the center. In an effort to intercept the pass, the Summit defender hit an unfortunate own goal finalizing the 4-1 score.

With the game out of reach, Summit still played hard to the finish. The Tigers were able to set up a few scoring opportunities late, but were unable to capitalize before the final whistle.

They play again Thursday at Glenwood.

Stories you may be interested in

The Summit Daily Updated Sep 3, 2013 09:16AM Published Sep 3, 2013 02:30PM Copyright 2013 The Summit Daily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.